Post Shave Balm Sting?

Is it strange that I'm getting more of a sting from the Penhaligon's Blenheim post shave balm than I get from the alum block?

Just seems a bit weird to me, I always thought that the balm was meant to be soothing not stingy.

Fish

Fish said:
Is it strange that I'm getting more of a sting from the Penhaligon's Blenheim post shave balm than I get from the alum block?

Just seems a bit weird to me, I always thought that the balm was meant to be soothing not stingy.

Fish

Yes it is weird, and yes its supposed to be soothing.

Are you cutting yourself much? its the only time i get a sting from my balm.
Or it may be highly scented, I dont know as I've never tried it.

+2 on the Nivea. Don't know why just stings me, so too does the Arko AB very similar consistency to the nivea. Ive moved on to thicker style AB's and I don't get any stinging but the face feels greasier but I don't mind that, actually its quite nice.

I sometimes get a little sting from the Penhaligons Blenheim ASB. My guess is that it is the perfume.
It's not overly uncomfortable though and the scent more than makes up for the mild, short-lived sting :)

My Bluebeards Revenge PSB stings more than the alum sometimes. I put it down to the witch hazel and other ingredients working post shave as it doesn't sting my skin applying it to other parts of my body when testing for a reaction.

I must confess I also get a real sting in the tail from Bluebeards Revenge PSB as well, I would agree with previous and say that something in there is obviously not agreeing with you so maybe look at an alternative PSB?

I'll add the BB Revenge post shave balm stung for me too, I didn't like its gunky texture and poor hydration purposes, persisted for a few months then ditched it in favour of Edwin Jagger's aloe vera aftershave lotion, which immediately made a difference.

Nivea's sensitive post-shave balm is quite good too, bit too oily for me but it was the one I used before switching.

Thanks for the replies. It was a little tester pot they did for me when I was in getting some stuff for another member, so who am I to argue with some freebee's.

Time to go shopping and find some more 'samples'.

Fish

Fish said:
Thanks for the replies. It was a little tester pot they did for me when I was in getting some stuff for another member, so who am I to argue with some freebee's.

Time to go shopping and find some more 'samples'.

Fish

Good to hear you'd not thrown down some serious dollar on a product that you can't tolerate.

L'Occitane and Kiehls usually have plenty of samples for you to take. L'Occitane balms are superb.

Additional note: +3 on Nivea sensitive balm irritation

am I missing something, I was under the impression that I should alum block after the shave, then after about a minute or two to cold rinse it off.

Is this correct or should I just add the balm after the alum with it still on?

Thanks
Fish

Back
Top Bottom