Plissoft (Style) Knots

@Boycie83 Say, are there any horse hair knots you like?
The Zenith extra soft knot I have is quite nice, if rather slow to dry, but I've been wondering about the knots Boti and Oumo have.
Perhaps they could be a decent alternative to SynBad knots. :)

Thanks for the info.

I was unaware about the current generation of synths chasing to be like badger brushes. Sorry if I'm going off topic, but are densely packed knots favourable for badger brushes? Those large dense brushes look like they use a lot of soap! I've noticed a few of the MIC knot sellers on Aliexpress, like Oumo and Boti having large dense badger knots. Even though I'm not a user of badger brushes, I've been intrigued by the huge range of choices there for consumers of badger brushes. Boar brush consumers largely have two options, bleached or unbleached!
Super high density knots are the 'in thing' at the minute. I wouldn't say they're better than other knot types but, depending on variant, they do offer strong backbone and very soft gel tips.

@Boycie83 Say, are there any horse hair knots you like?
The Zenith extra soft knot I have is quite nice, if rather slow to dry, but I've been wondering about the knots Boti and Oumo have.
Perhaps they could be a decent alternative to SynBad knots. :)
I kid you not - I'm allergic to horses. With that in mind, I've stayed well away from horse hair.

Chris, I urge you to try a genuine Plisson in either the original style or the new "Evo" fibres. In my opinion nothing comes close, and I've tried them all.

Prices on Amazon aren't too crazy: amazon.co.uk/Classic-Plisson-Shaving-Acetate-Handle/dp/B07YG7XZDD

If you don't like it, I'll buy it off you for the same price - You cannot lose ;)

44466758354_af62fd4d88_o.jpg

Plissoft knots. Used a couple of them recently. I've been disappointed in the latest generation of knots: G5C etc. - they don't do it for me. The Plissoft is brilliant. I find it has the exact characteristics I want in a synthetic knot. I appreciate not everyone will share the same opinion as me. Any other fans of the Plissoft type knot here?
I'm a fan of the Plissoft knots. My first "proper" synthetic ( not some old nylon face ripper ) was the Razorock Bruce with 24mm Plissoft. I was settled with it for a while and I never had any urge to add to it. I still enjoy it and its one of the best bang for buck brushes IMHO.
Of course, after a while I got itchy feet and started looking around and slowly the brush rabbit-hole opened up.
I've tried a few synthetics now and my top pick at the minute is the Omega Evo 2.0. It has the exact charcteristics I'm looking for in the same way you describe the Plissoft @Boycie.

Chris, I urge you to try a genuine Plisson in either the original style or the new "Evo" fibres. In my opinion nothing comes close, and I've tried them all.

Prices on Amazon aren't too crazy: amazon.co.uk/Classic-Plisson-Shaving-Acetate-Handle/dp/B07YG7XZDD

If you don't like it, I'll buy it off you for the same price - You cannot lose ;)

View attachment 94448
That's a nice looking brush. An idea for Christmas.
I'm a fan of the Plissoft knots. My first "proper" synthetic ( not some old nylon face ripper ) was the Razorock Bruce with 24mm Plissoft. I was settled with it for a while and I never had any urge to add to it. I still enjoy it and its one of the best bang for buck brushes IMHO.
Of course, after a while I got itchy feet and started looking around and slowly the brush rabbit-hole opened up.
I've tried a few synthetics now and my top pick at the minute is the Omega Evo 2.0. It has the exact charcteristics I'm looking for in the same way you describe the Plissoft @Boycie.
The RazoRock Plissoft types are great. I've got the 26mm and 24mm variants. Always a pleasure to use. You now have me curious about the Evo - although the Plissoft types are half the price :)

That's a nice looking brush. An idea for Christmas.

The RazoRock Plissoft types are great. I've got the 26mm and 24mm variants. Always a pleasure to use. You now have me curious about the Evo - although the Plissoft types are half the price :)

Yes for sure the plissofts are hard to beat for value in comparison.
The Omega wasn’t something I planned for. I was drawn to it after reading a write up about the Evo 2.0 knot and how it compares to the original Evo knot which some had reported to be too stiff.
It sounded like something I’d like and I loved the look of the brush overall when I seen it so I took the punt.
I was unsure about the 28mm knot but as it turned out this is one of the best features IMO. It whips up a lather in double quick time.
Just as you find the plissoft to be your perfect synthetic the Evo 2.0 now fits that bill for me. YMMV.

The "T4" knot by dscosmetic feels like a variation on the Plisson knot, though I can't quite put my finger the why, so it might be just due to how the knot is set and its dimensions in the brush I have.

I rather like the Stirling 26mm brush I have (which feels more like a 28mm, really), though it's getting rather sparse in the middle. It's the second time it's happened to a brush of mine and I'm not sure why that is. :cautious:

Having said that, I find comparisons a little problematic, because while we can measure knot dimensions, I don't think there's a standardised way of indicating density across manufacturer, and actual shapes aren't exactly standardised.
Some "bulbs" are sort of bulbous, with the top almost flat.
Other "bulbs" are like slightly rounded fans.
Then there are "flat tops".
In-between flat tops and bulbs are "fans", but some are a little more rounded than others.
Even manufacturers themselves don't seem to keep the shapes very consistent between different knot types.

I prefer less rounded knots, as those I have are a bit more versatile than the more rounded ones and seem to hold lather better without hogging it (which rather makes sense).

@Boycie83 Have you found different knots with different fibers of the same shape, density and size, by any chance?
Forgot to mention - I used the SynBad fan the other day. Great knot. I think you'll like it. Has the lather holding characteristics you're looking and is built for face lathering.

Forgot to mention - I used the SynBad fan the other day. Great knot. I think you'll like it. Has the lather holding characteristics you're looking and is built for face lathering.
I love Synbads it has been my go to knot for a long time , not sure if it falls into category but I bought a Turn n Shave brush with a grey timber wolf knot in intending to remove it , but actually really like the knot. Now you have me intrigued about Plisson,

I love Synbads it has been my go to knot for a long time , not sure if it falls into category but I bought a Turn n Shave brush with a grey timber wolf knot in intending to remove it , but actually really like the knot. Now you have me intrigued about Plisson,
Good to see you back Russ!

I know you liked your Tuxedo knots. Using that as a benchmark, I'd say the Plissoft is softer than the Tuxedo but also had less backbone. I think it has more backbone than the Yaqi Timberwolf I had which wasn't particularly dense.

Back
Top Bottom