Plating a razor

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
LeJog 2022 Finisher
Anyone remember the gold plated razor ebay link that was posted on CONUK? It got me thinking about sending a razor off to be plated back to shiny newness.I have an aristocrat which I got from Ollie and it really is a beautiful shave.Used it this morning for the first time in a few weeks and it really was a joy,very nimble under the nose and so comfortable under the chin area (which is usually a very sensitive area) Anyway I digress, this razor is not a looker (as described by Ollie at the time 'not a show-piece but a great shaver') but I would like to have it plated to bring back it's former glory.Not for resale value but just for me to have it looking nice again.My questions are, has anyone had similar work done on a razor? If so who by and how much did it cost? and how happy were you with the outcome?
Pics if possible :mrgreen:

I'd give Dave at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.safetyrazors.co.uk">http://www.safetyrazors.co.uk</a><!-- m --> a prod - he did a top class job on my Executive that had major plate loss on the doors and some pretty hideous verdigris on the handle - he did a top class job on it.

I asked Dave about plating an Aristocrat Jnr and this is the reply I got in June, prices may have changed a little but should be roughtly around this,

Thanks for the enquiry.

Would you need the Aristocrat Nickel or Gold Plating?

With regards Gold, I can spot plate if there is no corrosion (just usual wearing of the plating) and cost is £10 per razor plus postage.

For nickel, I totally strip the old nickel and replate in bright nickel (as the original) or a gold or silver plated razor can be nickel plated. Again price is £10 per razor plus postage.

Hope this helps

£10 sound perfect, the aristo is in gold but I prefer nickel.Would this be considered wrong? I mean plating a gold razor in nickel.Not that I care lol just wondering.

lol nice,I contacted him for a price so I will see what it's like and hopefully he will come and join our merry band.

Nope I would say got for Nickel if it is for shaving. A resale one I would maybe keep original plating but I personally prefer the Nickel finish.

BTW I agree withe your first post. The Aristocrats are great razors I really enjoy the shave they give and their eas of use. I now have two Jnr's, a #16, #21 and #47 and an HD Rocket which is very similar in shave performance to the Aristocrats.

Back
Top Bottom