Photo of the day

View attachment 26350

@Helveticum - let's do portraits this week? Prague - Leica and film. Ilford XP2 - cheers - I.
Great idea, was thinking the same!
Here's one of my earliest (circa 2001 I think). Kiev-19 w/50mm Helios 81-H, Kodak Pro. Scanned just recently, so the film had degraded quite a bit.
16143049_1242150215820331_9178174927746676269_n.jpg

Very nice portrait shot with the Leica. Which model and lens? So sharp and very good shades of grey. I also worked with the XP2 film in the past. Great Iso 400 film with fine grain for availabe light photography.

Thanks A. - looks like a 35mm to me or maybe a 50mm - I'm not very organised and don't keep notes. It's either an M4P or an M6. cheers - I.

Great idea, was thinking the same!
Here's one of my earliest (circa 2001 I think). Kiev-19 w/50mm Helios 81-H, Kodak Pro. Scanned just recently, so the film had degraded quite a bit.
16143049_1242150215820331_9178174927746676269_n.jpg

Nice picture H. - I'd don't think it looks degraded - I rather like the colour and tone of it. I suspect strongly that the lens you used will not have had modern multi-coating on the optics so it's always going to look a bit different from what we are used to seeing these days. Putting the photographer in the picture is a visual trope I use a lot in street pics. - cheers - I.

Nice picture H. - I'd don't think it looks degraded - I rather like the colour and tone of it. I suspect strongly that the lens you used will not have had modern multi-coating on the optics so it's always going to look a bit different from what we are used to seeing these days. Putting the photographer in the picture is a visual trope I use a lot in street pics. - cheers - I.
Thanks. Coatings aside (and yeah, that lens is very average by any standard), could've been just a lousy scanner too, come think of it.. Need to re-scan my old films one day perhaps.

Graeme1SR.jpg

@Helveticum - portraits - an artist in his studio. The son of a journalist I worked with for 10 years. He's successful and makes a living at it. He paints the same girl in all his portraits. His muse I guess? They were partners but not anymore. He only uses primary colours in oil. The paint on the canvas is a thick physical layer. Smeared on in depth. If you looked at the canvas side-on it was 4 or 5mm deep - if not more. His work reminded me of seeing Van Gogh for the first time in real life. The paint is a physical and functioning part of the picture. Like the Dutchman - he had and has - serious mental health issues. He stays on balance by painting. Hence why I haven't named him and you can't see his face. I've used this trick many times in photographing creative people - they seem to be happy hiding behind their work. Makes sense to me. Cheers - I - Oh - Nikon D2H - 80 - 200mm. A horrible camera - not as bad as the D1 was though.

Back
Top Bottom