Phone upgrade

So I'm due an upgrade, to 4G.

I have been looking at 2 handsets, the HTC One mini 2, and the Sony Xperia M2.

I can get the HTC for free if I go for the £29.99 a month plan, 1000 mins/texts and 2GB of data. I can get the Sony for free and get unlimited calls/text and the same data, and its £23.99 a month. I can get the HTC on the £23.99 a month deal but have to pay £89.99 upfront for the phone.

Anyone own either of these phones? Which one is better? I'm more of an texter and app user, don't make loads of calls.

I just love the "get it for free" part of all such conversations! I can get it for free if I pay £30 a month. Clearly, people actually believe this sales hype. There is no such thing as a free breakfast, never has been, never will be.

Quite right Bechet, and if you do get a free breakfast you've had to pay for all the drinks for her the night before! Best I can do is to have so many beers myself that I don't remember paying!

MrK1 said:
Have you had a look at buying your handset separately and going for a SIM only deal?

You have to pay like £300 for the handset as its brand new, and I've had problems getting them with a SIM only deal, I've been refused a handset by Orange/EE before cos of being on that deal.

For £30 a month I would expect a better hand set than that. You can get a HTC One M8 for £28 with no upfront fee on O2 with unlimited texts/calls and 1GB of data.

Shop around and take your existing number with you. If you don't make many calls go for a cheap plan and just buy a data bundle.

Def go with the HTC m8 had mine for about a month now and love it, I'm on EE 34/month unlimited calls and texts 5gb data and they threw in a free return flight to Europe

Hi DPTC a few things to remember you are never getting a "free" handset. You are just paying for it over the 24 months of your contract with ??? (EE I guess?).
So 29.99 pcm = £719.76
Phone cost say £350.00
Call's,texts,data= 369.76 or £15.41 pcm.
You don't have to buy your phone from your network supplier there are plenty of places to get one from.
The reason EE may not offer that phone PAYG is they want you tied to a contract for 2 years.
Look around at different suppliers to see what they offer you may find a better deal and don't panic about your number I ported mine from EE to GiffGaff a year a go. I have a iPhone 4s only 3g I know but as I don't stream movies,tv etc it is fine, i use a number of apps and send a fair few texts. The phone is mine and now costs £12.00 for 600 mins, unlimited texts and data.
A good idea may be to get you current phone unlocked (they have to do this for free if you are out of contract ) and try a few PAYG sims to see what network works in your area.
Also don't forget 4g is not available everywhere yet ?
One last thing if you do decide to stay with your current provider, ask to be put through to disconnections to see if they will offer you extra to stay, EE did that with me a couple of times.
Yes I used to be like you "I am due a new phone must get it now, now I say !!! "

Good luck and I hope you get the phone you want with the right deal.

Please, Steve - will you come and talk to my Grandson? He won't believe me but he might listen to the sense you talk!

"Free flights to Europe" even if a cheap one, shows how much cash they rip us off for with their contracts.

Places like India (when I was going walk-about there) sell the phones for what they are worth - a fortune to Indians but not us. Separate transaction, you then buy a SIM and whatever deal with the service provider - cheap as chips.

I despair of people in UK yammering away, browsing, streaming, etc because why not, it's free - and I only pay £50 a month for all that and this Whoopsy-do latest gizmo handset which so absorbs me I've not the faintest where I am or what's going on around me. What lorry hurtling toward me at 40mph?

Me? SIM only with Asda - the cheapest per minute tariff of which I know. Average monthly bill over a year? 10 - 12p -ish. What do I spend such large amounts saying? Sorry, I'm going to be late. But then, I don't commute and have time to kill.

Carl if you are trying to talk your Grandson out getting the latest smart phone you may as well give up. My nephew took out a second contract to get an iPhone 5s when they came out I tried to talk him out of it and failed.
I think it just a generation thing, my 74 year old brother has a £10.00 Nokia which he puts a tenner in credit on each year and that does him. He says its for emergencies if he or his missus have a fall when they are walking the dog or for people to contact him.
The deal Nishy got is now £44.99 pcm and no free flight.
I think the UK will go over buying the handsets and a separate usage plan over the next few years. O2 and GiffGaff offer this now and I think the others will follow suit soon.
There is a big campaign running in Brighton about using you mobile while crossing the road due to people being knocked over.
Good luck with your Grandson Carl, but I think you may as well save your breath.

missingskin said:
Carl if you are trying to talk your Grandson out getting the latest smart phone you may as well give up. My nephew took out a second contract to get an iPhone 5s when they came out I tried to talk him out of it and failed.
I think it just a generation thing, my 74 year old brother has a £10.00 Nokia which he puts a tenner in credit on each year and that does him. He says its for emergencies if he or his missus have a fall when they are walking the dog or for people to contact him.
The deal Nishy got is now £44.99 pcm and no free flight.
I think the UK will go over buying the handsets and a separate usage plan over the next few years. O2 and GiffGaff offer this now and I think the others will follow suit soon.
There is a big campaign running in Brighton about using you mobile while crossing the road due to people being knocked over.
Good luck with your Grandson Carl, but I think you may as well save your breath.

That discussion is long over! He bought an iPhone 5s a few months ago - saved up his wages and the first thing he bought? a phone for nigh on £600. A very impressive piece of kit it is - but school kids? The problem - in my eyes - is that he keeps going for the 'free' deals and not good value deals - if such a thing exists in UK.

missingskin said:
Hi DPTC a few things to remember you are never getting a "free" handset. You are just paying for it over the 24 months of your contract with ??? (EE I guess?).
So 29.99 pcm = £719.76
Phone cost say £350.00
Call's,texts,data= 369.76 or £15.41 pcm.
You don't have to buy your phone from your network supplier there are plenty of places to get one from.
The reason EE may not offer that phone PAYG is they want you tied to a contract for 2 years.
Look around at different suppliers to see what they offer you may find a better deal and don't panic about your number I ported mine from EE to GiffGaff a year a go. I have a iPhone 4s only 3g I know but as I don't stream movies,tv etc it is fine, i use a number of apps and send a fair few texts. The phone is mine and now costs £12.00 for 600 mins, unlimited texts and data.
A good idea may be to get you current phone unlocked (they have to do this for free if you are out of contract ) and try a few PAYG sims to see what network works in your area.
Also don't forget 4g is not available everywhere yet ?
One last thing if you do decide to stay with your current provider, ask to be put through to disconnections to see if they will offer you extra to stay, EE did that with me a couple of times.
Yes I used to be like you "I am due a new phone must get it now, now I say !!! "

Good luck and I hope you get the phone you want with the right deal.

Yeah its EE and I'm hoping to get the £23.99 deal for 1000 mins unlimited texts and 1GB of data. The phone upfront would be £89.99.

I've looked on GiffGaff and they do have some good options, but I did see the phone would cost over £350, I'd probably be able to get a SIM card for a low monthly deal.

I did threaten to leave a few years back when my old phone broke and they wouldn't let me have an upgrade I was due so I kicked off and they backed down, so maybe if I do something similar I might be able to blag a few freebies!! Haha.

But yeah cheers for the advice will do some looking around.

Just last week got Samsung S4 on EE for £23.99 a month. 500 minutes, unlimited texts and 500 gb data. 4g. Could only get that offer in phones4u and had to phone their online offers team from the shop. No one else could match that offer. Nice phone. No upfront payment. Phone delivered next day.

That's not a bad deal Matt, some people wait for the phone value to drop before committing to a contract.

Think I'm set on a HTC handset though, Sony's ones don't fill me with great expectation.

Back
Top Bottom