Phoenix&Beau: My vegan & tallow shaving soaps [testers required]

Just time for a brief post. I used the tallow this morning and found that, with my very soft water, it delivered an effect I had thought to be an urban myth. I had to look to see if there was a blade in my razor! The first WTG pass simply showed NO resistance to the blade. I have never encountered this before. Shave was completed with no problems at all and a (deliberate) strong ATG pass produce no irritation nicks or damage. The vegan I would buy, the tallow I have to have! Post shave feel is just right for my slightly dry skin.

Superb soap. I hope by the time I use up my sample, I'll be able to buy a replacement.
Thanks @globalm I'm over the moon at your comments and the general collective so far. Both formulas have been the distillation of almost 9 months study, testing, more research, more testing and then further refinement with TSR's help. Glad you enjoyed. :)

Kerry.

Just time for a brief post. I used the tallow this morning and found that, with my very soft water, it delivered an effect I had thought to be an urban myth. I had to look to see if there was a blade in my razor! The first WTG pass simply showed NO resistance to the blade. I have never encountered this before. Shave was completed with no problems at all and a (deliberate) strong ATG pass produce no irritation nicks or damage. The vegan I would buy, the tallow I have to have! Post shave feel is just right for my slightly dry skin.

Superb soap. I hope by the time I use up my sample, I'll be able to buy a replacement.
I had to look to see if there was a blade in my razor!..;)

I am the same...Thinkin of changing over to a Tallow Soap for my more Aggressive razors...I have been ignorant to tallow myself even if it does smell like Lard...:D

Billy

If you can make it smell of peppered roast beef, it will be a winner in my eyes :D

Delaying my shave until postie brings the soap :) Given the quite outstanding results achieved so far, I'm going to go both barrels and give the shavette the razor of the day when I use this soap :)
Would have hoped it would be with you by now @nick_s

Following theme with many scent genres being a French description how about 'Rosbif Dimanche'? :D:rolleyes::)

Last edited:
Apologies for the silence.
Things have been a bit busy. I am afraid that the scent samples got a bit low down on the 'to do' list.
I shall get to them in due course. (Although I suspect there are better qualified noses already having put in their views)

However, right on top of the pile was a couple of shaving soaps..... well then......
I grabbed the larger one of the two and having looked back in the thread, that is the tallow one correct?

I have soft water. I let it bloom whilst I have a quick shower and off we go.
It loaded very quick. (I guess because it is a softer soap).
VERY thick. Needed some water for sure. I think this is a good thing as you can adjust the lather to how you like it.
I face lather. Lathered up really easily. Felt real slick/slidey.
I did grab my normal shave for consistency but it felt so nice that I went for my third ever shave with my new Feather SS.
Great.
Well, I can't think of a single negative thing to say. I can't think of any constructive criticism that would be needed.
It seems to me like it did every thing it should and very well at that.
Post shave, my face just feels real soft.
Congratulations Sir. This just seems great.
I shall be happily using this now.
I shall try the other one later in the week.
Thanks for letting me try it.

Apologies for the silence.
Things have been a bit busy. I am afraid that the scent samples got a bit low down on the 'to do' list.
I shall get to them in due course. (Although I suspect there are better qualified noses already having put in their views)

However, right on top of the pile was a couple of shaving soaps..... well then......
I grabbed the larger one of the two and having looked back in the thread, that is the tallow one correct?

I have soft water. I let it bloom whilst I have a quick shower and off we go.
It loaded very quick. (I guess because it is a softer soap).
VERY thick. Needed some water for sure. I think this is a good thing as you can adjust the lather to how you like it.
I face lather. Lathered up really easily. Felt real slick/slidey.
I did grab my normal shave for consistency but it felt so nice that I went for my third ever shave with my new Feather SS.
Great.
Well, I can't think of a single negative thing to say. I can't think of any constructive criticism that would be needed.
It seems to me like it did every thing it should and very well at that.
Post shave, my face just feels real soft.
Congratulations Sir. This just seems great.
I shall be happily using this now.
I shall try the other one later in the week.
Thanks for letting me try it.
Great stuff @grarea thanks for your review and I'm pleased you enjoyed the soap. N.b. yep, the larger sample would have been the tallow / shea / lanolin formula.

I tried the tallow sample and am pleased to report it is excellent...:D

Using a Markus Herber HMW brush (and on another occasion a L'Occitane Plisson synthetic) with The Shaving Room Bowl #2, it was relatively easy to create a yoghurty lather. The mixture took quite a bit of water before breaking down too - which is a good thing.

Glide and cushion are great and the lather maintains its consistency throughout the shave. Post shave moisturizing effect, I felt was above average to good - not absolutely great, but certainly more than acceptable.

All told, the tallow sample gave an excellent shave.

With the right scent, you'll have a winner Kerry @phoenixandbeau.

Some pictures:

Thanks for the opportunity of taking part Kerry.

Let me start this review by saying thanks again to Kerry for sending the sample out.

I've not got a massive collection and have only experienced 3 soaps. Wickham, Reef Point and Prof Blighty so please bear that in mind when reading.

First impression was that for a sample it was huge! A very soft soap easy to put into an empty TOBS bowl. Hmm don't let the smell or lack of put you off...

Loaded readily with my Muhle synthetic, not unlike the Wickham. I did notice a very thick almost tacky consistency. Adding a little more water and palm lathered to get a feel for the slickness and I wasn't disappointed. This soap is slick! I added a little more water and into the face.

The shave with my trusty DE89 was good and the soap did a good job. No drying out of the lather at all. Felt nice and protective.

After rinsing, skin felt nice and soft again similar to Reef Point and Wickham.

Would I buy? Depending on the scent, yes.

Another shave with this Wednesday for more testing before another go with the Wickham to get a comparison.

First impressions is that this is a soap with great performance that can only get better with a decent scent.

Back
Top Bottom