Personna Platinum Chrome (Israel) v Comfort Coated (USA)

I've tried the former:

personnaplatinum-450x450.jpg
and have now actually started to quite like them in a Black Beauty cranked up to 7 after intially finding them too mild.

Are there any discernable differences between them and the US Manufactured Comfort Coated Stainless (Lab Blues I think) in terms of performance (one being platinum coated and the other teflon)?

Pers2.jpg
Ordinarily I would have just bought a pack to try, but to date have only seen the US blades in 100's and I would rather have all the facts before jumping in and buying a 100.

Thanks
S

@SeanC - the Israeli blades are decent enough blades, I would say comparable to Astra Platinums or such like.

The Personna Supers (aka 'Lab Blues') are in a different league entirely - one of the best blades that money can buy; right up there with Sputniks / Rapira SSS etc.

@SeanC - the Israeli blades are decent enough blades, I would say comparable to Astra Platinums or such like.

The Personna Supers (aka 'Lab Blues') are in a different league entirely - one of the best blades that money can buy; right up there with Sputniks / Rapira SSS etc.

@Nico1970 - Thanks for clearing that one up. Historic reviews are mainly confusing as to which exact type they are discussing

Last edited:
There are three types of Israeli Personna blades.
Just to expand a little on what Paul has said:

Crystal - individual blades are wrapped in white and blue wax paper that says "Super Platinum", aka Israeli Personna
Personna Stainless - the one with the razor picture on the box card insert (sold, among other places, in Tesco!)
Personna Platinum Chrome - Red Personna (as in the pictrure in Sean's original post)

There's an urban myth that says they are all the same blade!

The platinum chrome were the first bulk buy I recall of blades from connaughts and I used them all the time when I first started. I have the lab blues in the blue wrapper and would say they are sharper and probably last a little longer.

Good source for Israeli blades:

http://liorfe.com/collections/double-edge-blades

Or from this seller on eBay, item 321796512522 (he has quite a few but at £9.73 delivery for 110 blades it's cheap as Russian blades).
To the Feather nuts this seller do 100 for less than &£15 delivered so bargain for anyone who tolerate the roughness.
Interesting. I will order a sampler when I work my way through the current Russian one.

...There's an urban myth that says they are all the same blade!

On another forum an Israeli wetshaver stated that all the Israeli blades are the same, just different names. I do know for a fact that in the USA the Personna 'Blue' & the 'Med Prep' are indeed the same blade except the latter gets a an antiseptic bath. How do I know? Personna told me in an e-mail. The problem is that a few years back Personna revamped their blade manuf. in the USA and marked the improved blades 25% Sharper which has been changed yet again to Comfort Coated. If your box does not state either then you have the older (MkI?) version. Regardless, I have never received a bad shave with any Personna blade.

I am getting ready to try some NOS Personna made in the U.K. blades I picked up recently as I here they were great. Anyone here used one?

@Bogeyman - I have both the Lab Blues and the Med Preps and couldn't tell any difference between them. Both are excellent blades, and very sharp!

That's an interesting story about Personna revamping their blade manufacturing in the USA. I must dig out my stash of Personnas (both USA and Israeli) and start to use them again.

The second blade you mention is truly excellent and commonly known as the Lab Blue. I feel it is much sharper and just as smooth as the Platinum Chrome. I used to love the Personna Platinum Chrome but I find them a bit too mild these days. Left my stock with my ex as they're all she uses. I would agree with Steve and Martin on their opinion of the Lab Blues. By the way, Lior is a top bloke to deal with and an all round jolly nice chap - buy from him with confidence. He may also still sell the excellent MEM Olive shaving cream which despite being a vivid shade of green when it comes out of the tube, quickly changes to white and performs very well indeed.

There are three types of Personna blades being produced at the Nazareth plant.

1. Crystal Platinum - AKA Israeli Personna's, IP's, Super + Platinum
Blue & white wrappers. Marked Super + Platinum. Packed in 10's (dispenser) or 100's (loose in a white carton).
wp28d12e9f_05.jpg
wpbbb09512_05.jpg
Super%20Platinum.jpg
wp7501ebc1_05_06.jpg

2. Personna Platinum Chrome - AKA Red Personna's, Red IP's, Israeli Reds. Originally in red wrappers, now white. Unmarked or marked Personna Platinum Chrome. Packed in red boxes 5's or 10's (US style) & in plastic dispensers 10's (UK/Europe style).
personna-red-100-500x500.jpg
Personna%20Israeli%20Red%20Pack%20razor%20blades%20200%20carton%20large.png
wp2afee582_05_06.jpg
personna-platinum-double-edge-blades.jpg

3. Personna Double Edge - AKA Boots own brand, Tesco own brand. White wrappers, unmarked blades, 10-pack plastic dispensers.
035390.jpg
wp24e3b0a6_05.jpg
052025.jpg
e14zut.jpg

Not sure about Tierre Santa blades accept that any blade packed in the blue star wrappers will be Super + Platinum/ Crystal blades. Q-Ball are NOS, discontinued brand.

When I first started DE shaving some years back the first DE blade I used was an Israeli "Red" and I thought they were superb then. As time went by I used one less & less and now just sporadically. They give a decent shave for sure, but I think there are far better blades to be had with some just as cheap. YMMV.

Anyone know a source of Personna Lab Blues (hospital blades as PaulH Films calls them) at a decent price in the UK? They seem rare and pricey on ebay.

The Chromes I have tried and are ok, nothing to set the world alight but are mild and gentle.

Back
Top Bottom