Penhaligons Sartorial Shaving Soap!!

http://www.penhaligons.com/sartorial/

Just released for sale. Bloody shame it costs a small fortune though.

God willing one of those dodgy people on the bay will get hold of some because I'm definitely not prepared to pay nearly £40 for a shaving soap as it is at the moment through the Penhaligons website.

Put it on the Santa list, I have some of the old formula English Fern and that is very good. I have not tried the current formula but their scents are excellent, far better than the big perfume houses.

I opened mine this morning. This is my first hard soap so I wasn't really sure want consistency to aim for and ended up a bit dry for the first pass and then too wet for the second and third. But it's very slick and smells fantastic. I coud still smell it driving to work 45 mins later.

Re: RE: Penhaligons Sartorial Shaving Soap!!

p.b said:
I opened mine this morning. This is my first hard soap so I wasn't really sure want consistency to aim for and ended up a bit dry for the first pass and then too wet for the second and third. But it's very slick and smells fantastic. I coud still smell it driving to work 45 mins later.

Damn it.

I was hoping it would be pants so I wouldn't have to get one.

Does it smell the same as the EDT? Or is there a noticeable difference?

CelticRoots said:
Does it smell the same as the EDT? Or is there a noticeable difference?

I'm really bad at defining smells but I think it smells similar but less strong. I bought a EDT sample before spending on the soap (+£5.50 shipping!) Maybe wait until they do a refill?

All Penhaligons soaps smell just like the EDTs, they do manage to match their scents expertly. I have the Blenheim soap (the "new" formula, anything post circa 2011 is the new formula), it smells amazing but I've never been able to get good lather with it and it sits there in its gorgeous wooden bowl in a cupboard. It's a damn shame at £40 a go (and mine was a very thoughtful gift from my lady so I feel doubly bad) but after about 20 attempts I've not had one lather that hasn't been disintegrating into thin, slippery airy froth after one minute.

Apparently there yet another re-formulation: http://shavenook.com/thread-fall-and-rise-of-penhaligon-s-blenheim-bouquet-shaving-soap This one sticks around for a long time! BB is available as a refill for that gorgeous wooden bowl...

Oh I stand corrected then. Glad they've tried again, not sure I could handle the heartache of having another one bought for me however, to find it's still not good. Once bitten and all that. :-(

CelticRoots said:
God willing one of those dodgy people on the bay will get hold of some because I'm definitely not prepared to pay nearly £40 for a shaving soap as it is at the moment through the Penhaligons website.

Best price for Pen's is usually one of their outlet stores. No doubt they will have them there soon...

Been meaning to ask about the newer formulation and if anyone here has recent usage. Starting to find more and more positive posts around stating they may have got it right this time.

I'm impressed. I loved the scent of the BB cream but was very unimpressed with the performance. However, this soap is very slick, smells great and lathers well. Skin care is OK but I've not noticed it being good or bad.

After reading the above I popped into town first thing this morning to pick up a Sartorial shaving soap. I have to say I was initially very disappointed with my purchase as it couldn't even start the car for my return journey, never mind pilot the car home (I'll get my coat...)

I usually shave in the evenings and a lingering scent would be very welcome, the sartorial soap smells great to my nose and maybe a little stronger than I was expecting. A good stable lather for me, maybe not as slick & cushioning as some, but maybe thats just me using it for the first time. A few more goes may reveal more.

Back
Top Bottom