Peening without washers

One of the forum members has sent a couple of blades for fitting in stainless steel scales and asked me to avoid using external washers. I've always used washers before so I wondered if anyone has an opinion.

I imagine it could work on metal scales but he has also asked that I do the same on a third blade which has plastic scales. I'm loathe to even try this on the basis that without a washer to peen against, there a big danger of splitting them. Again' I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Although I haven't done it on razors I have done it on other things and it can be done, but doing it without washers wont let the pressure from the peening spread and it will be concentrated in a very small area leading to cracking. I dont know if I have explained myself very well but I am sure you know what I mean. Thats the main reason for washers, to spread the pressure and the load over a larger area so it's not concentrated in one wee spot, ok on hard materials but on plastics I think you might run into trouble. As I say I have no experience on razors but I have 20 years experience as an engineer. I have no doubt you can do it, but how long will it last and are you willing to put your reputation on the line instead of just saying " no, I don't think it is a good idea and I don't want you to waste your money" You could always leave it a little slack, but then it wont be quite right will it?

It is probably not possible but could there be anywhere that sells acorn bolts small enough to do what you need? You know the type:

6.jpg

I might try the idea with the metal scales, but with the plastic i think that pins without collars cheapen the looks of the razor.

Hi Rob,

Well it's pretty straight forward peening against the stainless steel scales, after all the metal face is basically doing the job of the washers, but you should not peen directly against the pivot or back wedge of plastic scales the likely hood of them breaking is extremely high, but if you have a three pin set up I've noticed quite a few center pins have no washer, but that's OK because that's all you are doing is holding a spacer in place with less pressure. PS thinking about the stainless steel scales, if you put a very small counter sink on each hole then what you could achieve is a totally flat finish with a very clean and smooth face would look perfect for a set of those scales in my opinion.

Jamie

Ive done it with no problems, I will stick a couple of pictures up later.
The key as with all peening is don't rush it, tiny little 1" taps and check often for tightness.
Also the length of the pin prior to peening is important, keep it as short as possible. The more you have to peen the more risk there is of breaking the scales.

I have done it with both horn & acrylic.

The ones with no washers above could have been made using a hot rivet making piening of the head an easier process. Where as your cold piening so will spread the head more and will probably cause cracking

If you use a very small washer you could make it look like you have not used a washer, I sometimes use a very small washer when restoring a razor with a three pin set up, after it's finished you wouldn't know if there was a washer used, here's an example of one of my razors I restored using this method.

Jamie

Try again...

Here's brass with acrylic & nickel silver with horn.
A tip for anyone that uses transparent acrylic, line the pivot end with washers it will stop gunk and scratches building up on the inside...like mine:blush:

img0251jg.jpg

img0252df.jpg

Back
Top Bottom