Pears / Wrights Soaps

For those of you who use these types of soaps as a preshave, do you wash it off or leave it on?

I soak and wash my face then rub the bar over my face, rub it in so it starts to lather a little then face lather over that.

Just wondered how others use them...

I've often been tempted to ask the same question. I do it like you do. Wash with it thoroughly, rinse with the hot flannel, then apply a little more soap to benefit from the slickness and face lather over it. Great minds, probably...

You probably wanna hope your mind doesn't think like mine!!! ;)

I don’t use pre shave anything these days although i have and if the feeling takes me i might do it again just so i can buy another product lol
When i have used the pears iv washed it off or certainly gave my face a rinse.
in the past iv felt that some of the pre shaves i had stopped my soap from lathering properly,

I don’t use pre shave anything these days although i have and if the feeling takes me i might do it again just so i can buy another product lol
When i have used the pears iv washed it off or certainly gave my face a rinse.
in the past iv felt that some of the pre shaves i had stopped my soap from lathering properly,
It certainly doesn’t do that. It actually lathers pretty well on its own!

I've started to leave a little on at times. A very thin film that I just lather over. I've always assumed the longer I kept the preshave treatment on the more it was hydrating and softening my whiskers.

Oddly enough, I sometimes just shave with the Pears, but that is a different story :)
Does it work well?

I plan on trying it...

Pears is very slick, and it didn't dry on my face in between passes like some non-shaving soaps do, so it stayed protective enough to keep me feeling safe. I won't claim I'd do it regularly, but I certainly wouldn't feel scared to try it again.

So I bit the bullet today and shaved with Pears. I used it like a shaving stick and face lathered. I found it took a lot of water and did dry pretty quickly on my skin.

20230515_171306.jpg

But it did produce a slick lather, which although it wasn't that cushioning allowed me to have a close and smooth shave with no drama.

It wouldn't be my soap of choice, but if I found myself stuck while away with this or a can of foam in a supermarket I would go with the Pears.

**Edit** just to add that now a little time has passed since the shave it has left my face super comfortable

Last edited:
Yes I did the same experiment and reached the same conclusion. It's slick enough that you can get away with it at a pinch, but nobody is going to start ditching their favourite shave soaps for a one-stop Pears pre-and-shave every day. It works but it's not as good as using it for pre and using proper shave soap for the actual shave.

Yes I did the same experiment and reached the same conclusion. It's slick enough that you can get away with it at a pinch, but nobody is going to start ditching their favourite shave soaps for a one-stop Pears pre-and-shave every day. It works but it's not as good as using it for pre and using proper shave soap for the actual shave.

I was never really sure how to tell if soap had a lot of cushioning or not before. I can now... ;)

Agreed. It was more of a 'hmmm, I could safely use this if forced to' type thing. Since part of the fun of wet-shaving for me is the enjoyment of the actual products and not costs or ease of use, I don't see the joy of using Pears for anything but a pre-shave unless I get the wild urge to do something outside the norm just to do it.

Back
Top Bottom