Pasties

More Nigel Slater magic here (sorry non-fans!!) as today I made my first ever pasties. For the meat I used leftover beef and ale stew. I'm particularly proud of my pastry which is not normally my thing. I really recommend giving pasties a go as these were incredibly tasty. OK, that's my trumpet well and truly blown! :blush:

p1010193n.jpg

Nice, that's a good idea! I often do a pie with leftovers but haven't done pasties yet.

What kind of pastry is it? I find short crust quite easy with a food processor but that's all I have done.

Jeltz said:
Nice, that's a good idea! I often do a pie with leftovers but haven't done pasties yet.

What kind of pastry is it? I find short crust quite easy with a food processor but that's all I have done.

Shortcrust. I kneaded butter and lard (frozen then grated) in to strong bread flour and kneaded with a bit of water and salt. Rolled in to circles then filled and crimped. :)

RB73 said:
Looks good, what did they come out like

That's them cooked! :icon_rolleyes: They were delicious. You don't need to use leftovers, the recipe just says brown some meat. I actually used the wrong recipe. :angel: Mrs PC had bought the ingredients for goats cheese pasties but I looked at the wrong page in the book. I couldn't find any beef in the fridge but remembered we had the stew in the freezer. Just call me Delia! No, seriously, please do, I really like to be called Delia. :blush:

Did I mention that the pastry was amazing? :sleepy:

Hiya,

Surprisingly enough, I remember those things from the mid 1970s and early 80s. I probably even ate one, but I can't recall the experience.

At one time I was a regular patron at the Mayflower Inne, which was located in northern California (San Rafael). Yeah, for a bunch of years that was my regular hangout for darts and pints of Watneys Red. I was a fairly decent chukker of the spears and was on a couple of league teams. Christ, that was about 35 years ago........

Anyway, the Mayflower was a restaurant and had a dining room away from the bar, Oh yeah, the owner was actually British! I rarely ate there, but I do remember the Bubble and Squeak I had once. I remember it so well that there's never been a reason to revisit the tasty dish.

No, when I came to the Mayflower it was to play darts, drink, schmooze with my friends, and pick up women. The bar service did offer such gourmet delights like Scotch eggs and sausage rolls with that odd UK mustard on the side (slight shudder).

Every Sunday night was the weekly 'Special' dish, and people would drive for a long way just to wait in line for a table. Instead of Spring Lamb, they used 4 year old mutton and called it 'Sprung Lamb instead. Does sprung mean really really gamey in British? Man, you could smell the haunches cooking two blocks away if the wind was blowing right. As Billy Crystal said in a famous movie "Nothing like a mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich".

Ok I'm done. That last paragraph mighta not been true.....it's all kindy hazy after all the damn years. Man, that was a different lifetime ago.

Martin

Oh, PC? Those things look......nicely cooked. How was that?

Merlin, it sounds to me like you had an unfortunate experience of the highlights of British queasin.... sorry, cuisine. Pigcat, do you have a pasty left over that you could send to Marvin? It would be a shame if he never remembered the delights.
In Ireland, we don't tend to do pastry and savoury together. Nor boiled puddings, nor bubble and squeak, nor Yorkshire pudding. But for all that the food is just as bland, but strangely comforting. I guess it's just what you're used to.
Having said that, the hot dog is an abomination in the eyes (and mouth) of any right thinking person. Always served with 'mustard' with no mustard in it. Strange, but true...ish.

soapalchemist said:
Merlin, it sounds to me like you had an unfortunate experience of the highlights of British queasin.... sorry, cuisine.

Having said that, the hot dog is an abomination in the eyes (and mouth) of any right thinking person. Always served with 'mustard' with no mustard in it. Strange, but true...ish.

Hi there Sharon!

I've been waiting to type something at you, but sadly I didn't have anything to add in your postings. Not that they weren't fascinating, because you know they all certainly were. Heh, I seem to be set on the Schmooze mode..could you sorta tell?

I hadda hot dog today with relish and onions on a poppyseed bun. Shoulda asked for celery salt but I forgot and was too lazy to go back up to the counter. In Chicago, there's only one hot dog to eat....Vienna brand. There's plenty of other brands as you might imagine, but you gotta make sure the hot dog joint serves Vienna hot dogs.

These are all beef and they pop when you bite into em. Natural casings I believe....tender and juicy and fulla good beef flavor. Sure, you still get the occasional chunk of knuckle thrown in the mix, but it's genuine beef bone......

You poor woman. I can only imagine what the hell kinda hot dogs you guys end up with over there. Oy vey. No wonder you're so put off by those delectable handheld delights. You gotta have a Vienna.

Merlin

Back
Top Bottom