Closed Passaround : Sam Seong 'kamisori' COMPLETE

First shave done.
First impressions: I've got a Feather AC SS folding razor, and although the Sam Seong's head follows a similar idea, the Feather is miles ahead in build quality and ease of use. The handle of the Sam Seong is quite grippy. I like that.
I was planning to do just one pass WTG with the Sam Seong and finish off with an injector. However, the first pass went so well, that I decided to do an XTG pass as well and then finish off with the injector. After the second pass I got a bit cocky and did a mostly ATG pass as well with the kamisori.
Did it all end in a bloodbath? Not really. I got a few nicks that I wouldn't get with a DE or SE razor, but they were minor and each time I knew immediately where I had gone wrong. All I need is a little practice and some muscle memory.
Did I get a BBS shave? No. The cheeks are wonderfully smooth, but in some areas I didn't do a proper ATG pass, as I wasn't confident enough (yet). I'm sure that this will improve with practice.
How does it compare to a straight or the folding Feather SS? Very favourably. I get this kind of razor. It is so much more intuitive (for me - YMMV) than a folding razor. I'm very confident that I can master this type of razor. I'll keep my 'inherited' straight, but I'll probably trade my folding Feather SS for a non-folding one.
What a change from using the OneBlade pass around razor to using this razor. The OneBlade takes care of everything, this one leaves you in charge. I feel that I have achieved something today. Good.

I had two more shaves with the Sam Seong. I've come to the conclusion that while I prefer the kamisori style over a folding razor, neither type is for me. I'm just not feeling the love :D I might revisit this world again later. For now it's back to DE and SE for me. The ProGuard blade I used will now be trimmed to size and used in an injector. I haven't tried that before.
Thanks @Whosthedaddy for letting me experience this type of razor. The razor has been cleaned and is currently being barbicided and will go to Lee @rowlers soon.

First shave in; straights are NOT for me as I simply cannot be arsed to get to grips with one!
1 pass pretty much every all over; chin, mouth and lip are are fekkin impossible to shave, whilst cheeks and neck weren't too bad.
Cleaned up with a 1912 for a pretty crappy shave all round.
The Kamisori style I found easier to handle than traditional but its still too much hassle for me. Maybe when I'm retired, kids have flown the nest etc... I'll revisit.
Until then there is much fun to be had with DE/SE and Injectors!!
Thanks to @Whosthedaddy for the opportunity...
@thrifty PM me your address and I'll move it on

Back
Top Bottom