Closed Passaround : Neo Gam slant DE COMPLETE

Kept the original box to reduce the cost of passing it round no think the only instructions I have are in German.

Can't remember what blades I used in this thus far, I believe it could tame a feather as the head is for a mild shave, not probably what you wanted to hear after the Pils but a safe mild feel and very audible telling you if the shaving angle is correct.

Kept the original box to reduce the cost of passing it round no think the only instructions I have are in German.

Can't remember what blades I used in this thus far, I believe it could tame a feather as the head is for a mild shave, not probably what you wanted to hear after the Pils but a safe mild feel and very audible telling you if the shaving angle is correct.
Does the box have a price printed on it or some patent numbers (to date it pre/post 1945)?
The instructions btw are in Italian. German would be better for me as my Italian is rubbish.
I love mild razors. I'm thrilled to have won the Feather WS-D1S in the raffle. That tamed a Feather blade alright, but gave me a great shave. I loved it. The Pils was mild, but didn't give me a great shave. We'll see how the Neo-Gam fares. Well, I already know, because I've shaved with it already, but I'll tell you later in detail. :D

No price? Price!
Verkaufspreis DM 3,-- means Retail price 3 DM.
DM was Deutsche Mark used after 1945. It would have been RM (Reichsmark) before.
Also, D.P. N. 647758 means Deutsches Patent Nummer, used after 1945, before it would say D.R.P. (Deutsches Reichspatent). So this is clearly post war.
Thanks.

Neo Gam - Day 1 (long - summary at the very end)

I received the Feather WS-D1S I won in the raffle today. Ten minutes later this razor also arrives. So first I admire the Feather for a while, then SWMBO comes back home and (as agreed) she takes control of the Feather. I'll consider the Feather a Christmas present from TSR. Thank you.
So I shift my attention to the Neo-Gam. The construction of this razor is quite ingenious and I soon figure out how assemble it.
The first impressions are: That's quite an angle. 45 degrees or thereabouts. And: It's quite a lightweight. Onto the scales it goes and weighs are mere 23.4 grams without blade. That's lighter than any DE I own, a Gillette Tech from 1972 holds that record at 30.1 grams.
I have two days worth of stubble and get going. A fresh Voskhod blade goes into the razor and after the usual prep I lather up some Cella croap. A tried and tested combination, so only the razor is an unknown. I'll try to remember what @Whosthedaddy wants me to remember:
Remember remember remember to keep the handle as you would and forget the angle of the head.
I get the impression he wants me to remember this.
First pass WTG. Not to difficult. My muscles remember quite well how to move a razor across the face. I just try to keep one eye on the head, as it is not exactly where my muscle memory says it should be.
On the first pass I normally move the razor down across the jawline while adjusting the angle of the handle. If I do this with the Neo-Gam I fear that only a tiny bit of the blade will be in contact with my face. That sounds like asking for trouble. One glance around the shaving station confirms that all styptic products are within easy reach. I proceed with the procedure. What a weird sensation to see the razor head move across my jawline in a slanted way. Even weirder is that nothing bad happens. The lather is gone and is not replaced by blood. This is getting fun. Under the nose is a bit puzzling at first (the nose gets in the way) until I realise that the razor is not the same if you rotate the handle by 180 degrees. First the head is like a forward slash / , rotate it and it sits on your face like a backslash \. So you can use (as seen in the mirror) the forward slash on the left, the backward slash on the right, like this / \ without your nose getting in the way of the razor. Nifty.
So the first pass is done without incident. I'm trying to go for full on BBS, so I do a four pass shave WTG, XTG, XTG, ATG. All passes are easy and I get quickly used to strange angle of the head - I almost forget about it.
One thing that I get more and more aware of is the above mentioned slash/back slash thing when you turn the razor around. Surely this must change the way the stubble is cut. Maybe I should try two WTG and two ATG passes on another day, with only using one side of the head during one pass and the other side during the next. Right, (that's) a plan.
Four passes are done and what's the result? I missed a few millimetres just under the nose, almost inside my blowholes. I grab a Schick injector and finish that off. Easiest tool for that task. Other razors need practise. Not today.
Rinse with cold water. Feels good. The alum block must be broken as there is no sting whatsoever. We'll see about that. After another rinse I go for some high alcohol EdT for afters. Wow. Nothing. Doesn't sting.
Was it a close shave? Oh yes, indeed! Full on BBS everywhere, just as planned, and quite long lasting as well. Even difficult areas (right below the chin, corners of the mouth) were dealt with efficiently.
The verdict:
¡Ay, caramba! I didn't expect that. What a corker! This is one fantastic razor. It is mild in the sense that it doesn't hurt you. It is aggressive in the sense that it gives you great, close shave. It needs a slightly different technique, but I don't think (that's) going to be a problem if you have some experience with DE shaving.
Most of all, this razor is fun. I'm looking forward to a couple more shaves with it to learn how to use the two sides of the head properly. This razor is a must-try! If I was spending money on razors at the moment I'd definitely get one, or one like it. I like the look of the similar Neo-Lux in red.

Tl;dr:

¡Ay, caramba! Nice. Try it!

Glad you liked it.

I found that the / worked well on one side of my face and the \ on the other especially on the neck. Its a weird concept and a bit of a mind f*ck at first but i enjoyed it as it sounds did you.

That red one does look pretty darn cool too.

Neo Ras. Case also says ZAISS

Pre WW2 as it says Made in Germany. That's the only English on it. No instructions though.
Made by Hermann Zaiss in Solingen. Waits claims post WW2 for the Neo-Ras. Made in Germany was used after the war as well, before West and East Germany became independent countries. Any other hints? Like 3 DM on the box?

Some were slants, some had an adjustable slant (I'd love to see that), some where slantless, different handles, different name at different times. Mostly plastic, some metal. At least eight different models of the Neo-Gam. Others are Neo-Ras, Neo-Lux, Neo-Gam Neorador. All according to Waits. You could build a whole collection of them.....

Back
Top Bottom