Closed Passaround : Neo Gam slant DE COMPLETE

This razor and its relatives are confusing. Waits claims that there were adjustable models of the Neo-Gam, yet I have not been able to find one anywhere on the net. I had a look at the German patents he mentions and there is no mention of the razor being adjustable. I even found a US version of the same patent that doesn't mention adjustable razors. All patents say the mechanism can be used for standard or slanted razors, but doesn't suggest dual or adjustable angles. Has anyone ever seen an adjustable Neo-Gam? Please let me know. I'd love to see how it works.

Then there is the Ebor razor made by Zaiss as well:
Voila_Capture%202015-11-23_02-24-45_p.png

I guess it is named after its two inventors/designers Fritz Ebert and Charlotte Orlowski (née Ebert). It's basically a Neo-Lux with a straight head. The package clearly says ‘Gradschnitt' (straight cut) where the Neo razors say ‘Schrägschnitt' (slanted cut). Yet Waits claims the head can be mounted both straight and slanted, but I fail to see how that can be achieved and wonder why it is not mentioned on the packaging.
There are more weird statements about Zaiss razors in Waits compendium. The Neo-Ras apparently comes as ‘single edge,corrugated guard, adjustable head tilt' or ‘double edge, plastic cap, ribbed guard and handle'. It's the non-adjustable version of the Neo-Gam. Single edge? Really? Adjustable? Why is there no photo anywhere? As far as I can tell the Neo-Gam is the non-adjustable version of the Neo-Gam
Maybe I'll send Waits an email, especially as the entries for the Zaiss razors have typos and one patent claimed for the Neo-Gam is for the dual-coloured handle of the Neo-Lux and the Ebor. Can no one be bothered to go back to the original German language patents and check the facts these days? Sloppy, I say! Sloppy! :D
Finally I had a good think about how to design a handle to turn modern razor heads into extreme slants (think ‘extreme slant R41' :eek: ). I couldn't come up with a practical solution. I guess it would have to be some sort of ball and socket joint, like in tripods. But how would you then immobilise the joint? This made me realise what a great design the Neo-Gam has. It is a simple yet effective solution to a tricky problem, but it requires a modification to the head.
Thanks @Whosthedaddy for this marvellous pass around. I had a lot of fun and have learned things I didn't need to know. Excellent. Anyone else?

Last edited:
This razor and its relatives are confusing. Waits claims that there were adjustable models of the Neo-Gam, yet I have not been able to find one anywhere on the net. I had a look at the German patents he mentions and there is no mention of the razor being adjustable. I even found a US version of the same patent that doesn't mention adjustable razors. All patents say the mechanism can be used for standard or slanted razors, but doesn't suggest dual or adjustable angles. Has anyone ever seen an adjustable Neo-Gam? Please let me know. I'd love to see how it works.

Then there is the Ebor razor made by Zaiss as well:
Voila_Capture%202015-11-23_02-24-45_p.png

I guess it is named after its two inventors/designers Fritz Ebert and Charlotte Orlowski (née Ebert). It's basically a Neo-Lux with a straight head. The package clearly says ‘Gradschnitt' (straight cut) where the Neo razors say ‘Schrägschnitt' (slanted cut). Yet Waits claims the head can be mounted both straight and slanted, but I fail to see how that can be achieved and wonder why it is not mentioned on the packaging.
There are more weird statements about Zaiss razors in Waits compendium. The Neo-Ras apparently comes as ‘single edge,corrugated guard, adjustable head tilt' or ‘double edge, plastic cap, ribbed guard and handle'. It's the non-adjustable version of the Neo-Gam. Single edge? Really? Adjustable? Why is there no photo anywhere? As far as I can tell the Neo-Gam is the non-adjustable version of the Neo-Gam
Maybe I'll send Waits an email, especially as the entries for the Zaiss razors have typos and one patent claimed for the Neo-Gam is for the dual-coloured handle of the Neo-Lux and the Ebor. Can no one be bothered to go back to the original German language patents and check the facts these days? Sloppy, I say! Sloppy! :D
Finally I had a good think about how to design a handle to turn modern razor heads into extreme slants (think ‘extreme slant R41' :eek: ). I couldn't come up with a practical solution. I guess it would have to be some sort of ball and socket joint, like in tripods. But how would you then immobilise the joint? This made me realise what a great design the Neo-Gam has. It is a simple yet effective solution to a tricky problem, but it requires a modification to the head.
Thanks @Whosthedaddy for this marvellous pass around. I had a lot of fun and have learned things I didn't need to know. Excellent. Anyone else?

If nothing else comes of this passaround, it's the history and reference to a not that well known razor, thanks for the insight it makes it even more interesting in my eyes. That fixed Ebor looks good, just need a different mounting bracket and could go between the 2 styles.

Neo-Gam Day 4 update
It's almost 1am now and I feel the need to give an update to today's shave. After 10 hours my face still feels incredibly smooth. I can't feel any stubble whatsoever ATG on my cheeks. Using the Neo-Gam as a normal non-slant razor has given me one of the closest shaves ever. I so want to try an Ebor razor or a non-slant Neo-Gam if they exist. I encourage anyone to try this marvel...

Neo Gam Day 5
There is no day 5. I'll finish on yesterday's high. There is still hardly any stubble on my face. It's as if I just had a one pass shave, i.e. still pretty smooth if I feel my face WTG. I should get the Wolfman razor tomorrow and if I have another shave with the Neo-Gam there will be nothing to be shaved tomorrow. So I'm done. Many many thanks to @Whosthedaddy for passing this around. I had fun. Lots if it. It's a pity that nobody else wants to have a go. It will go back home if there is no further interest.
One more historical note: The Deutschmark was only introduced in West Germany in 1948, so this razor is no earlier than that (because of the retail price on the box).

Back
Top Bottom