Closed Pass Around: Merkur Slant list (enchanted)

Razor was waiting on my desk Monday morning (thanks rascally!).

First shave: 2 days growth, wanted to be safe so loaded a 7 o'clock yellow and Wickham. Became quite aware of poor angle my first shave. I could feel the aggressiveness on my far side when being sloppy (the norm for me - although sensitive I tend to be fast and furious). Angle surely the problem in performance as I had to do full 3 passes + a touch up to get the area on the right (left handed) which became a bit red after all that.

Second shave: Next day, same yellow and HTGAM. I payed a bit more attention and with the blade broken in had a better but still just okay shave. Wasn't seeing any benefit yet over my trusty EJ89.

Third shave: today; two days growth. Went with a fresh Voshkod and Mike's. I got just a superb lather with loads of cushion. Was late for dinner, as usual, so back to fast and furious and just had a fantastic shave. That blade and soap made it a breeze so I got it in 1 pass + touch up.

Verdict so far: Well I have fantastic shaves like today with my 89 quite often. I'm not really sure what benefit the slant is meant to give. I'm reading that some find it better for a couple days growth. I can usually accomplish the same in my 89 with a new Feather/Voshkod. I find it weird after drooling over the beautiful iKon how the Merkur bar slants but the top stays straight. It doesn't seem to warp the blade so much as open a chasm for a potentially more aggressive shave on one end depending on the angle.

I'm still looking forward to a few more shaves with it and then I think maybe you're next ajk101. Does that sounds right dodgy?

newkie said:
Razor was waiting on my desk Monday morning (thanks rascally!).

I'm still looking forward to a few more shaves with it and then I think maybe you're next ajk101. Does that sounds right dodgy?

Thanks for the feedback so far. Yeah, some people just love the 'slant' effect for whatever the reason. The shave is close, but not like an open comb, and that odd angle of attack can be confusing at first. Still, it's something everyone needs to try.

Please do pass the razor on to ajh 101 when you're done.

Martin

ajh101 said:
Hi, any blade recommendations?

Usually I will hope for the best and start with my go to blade on a new to me razor. Always good to start there at least. Make sure to take the time for any needed technique tweaking and do try different blades. It can be a little strange at first, shaving with something that twisted looking.

ajh101 said:
Will let you know when it arrives here. As I need to shave every day during the week I think I might have to wait until the weekend for a little more growth?

Sheeesh, I saw things wrong. Yeah, there's a few ahead of you. When. you shave with the slant, just try it the first time with regular beard length as a control scientific thingy.

I deleted my post, since it wasn't right and sorry for the confusion if any.

Ooh do I dare gents? But I have to give this a shot. Can I be added to the list please Martin?
I have the BB pass around on its way to me so this might just be in time afterwards. Take your time ajh101 [emoji4]

It is interesting how the different blades we're used to in one head are just totally different in another. I used to scoff when people said Derby, but reading this I could see how it could be perfect in the right razor. There is such a wide variety of variables to become knowledgeable about yet the most we can do is learn 1 day at a time.

37c plus Derby. Not as screamingly close as the feather but I still got a couple of small nicks. I usually shave most days so I don't need the slant's capabilities as a sythe either. This razor may go on my Christmas list but for the moment I shall stick to the 38c plus shim. Thanks for the opportunity to try this razor but I think my nascent RAD is calmed for the moment thanks. Will clean it tonight to post tomorrow. Of course, I do have a Parker ss shavette arriving in a few weeks to try... :)

Back
Top Bottom