Active Pass Around: Fatboy

dodgy said:
Ben88 said:
Received safely today guys. Currently sat in a hot barbicide solution and will get used at the weekend!

Anyone know if I missed something and Whosthedaddy already did have a shot? I can't see anything about it.

Thanks

Whosthedaddy said:
Me sir? No sir, not yet.

Ok, I think I know what happened here, which was Lee sending the razor to Ben instead of WTD. Yep, and I shoulda caught that myself....sheesh.

So unless I'm wrong, WTD will be next then (sorry) after Ben is done.

That sound right now?

Martin

Whosthedaddy said:
This could be an interesting experience, seems to split divides in whether you like it or not. Also how it compares to the Digress as an adjustable.

Yep, the Fatboy either fits or it doesn't, although it can take a bunch of shaves to get any possibly needed tweaks done. If not then the odds are good that person will like the Slim instead. I think the Slim is actually a little more popular.

No Gillette is gonna shave like the Digress. The head designs are different for one thing. The Progress in my arsenal is a different beast that's also enjoyable for me. The Progress also has the option of dialing in lots more bite than any adjustable Gillette.

Martin

With the more adjustments on the Gillette compared to the Merkur, can you actually sense the difference when cranking the notch up or down! How different is lowest to highest setting?

Whosthedaddy said:
With the more adjustments on the Gillette compared to the Merkur, can you actually sense the difference when cranking the notch up or down! How different is lowest to highest setting?
I had a D4 Fatty & the blade gaps were as follows:
1 = 0.50
2 = 0.58
3 = 0.65
4 = 0.75
5 = 0.85
6 = 0.91
7 = 0.97
8 = 1.02
9 = 1.12 mm
So it should more than double the gap going from 1-9. What's at least as important is how much of the blade is exposed as a result of the change in gap. That is very much harder to measure though!

Interesting to see not a uniform difference between graduations.

When changing the gap by say 0.06mm and the human hand varying the angle of every stroke, is this a noticeable thing? It's what I found interesting, or maybe not, I didn't find much difference between lowest and highest setting on the Merkur because I think I slighlty changed my technique or passes / pressures to mentally accommodate a more aggressive or milder shave?

Gillette Adjustable preferences & settings are all a bit nebulous because it's very much a ymmv thing. All I can say is that when I used the Fatboy 1 seemed very mild & pretty useless, 4 was a similar shave to my DE89, while anything above 7 seemed too harsh for me. I tended to go for a 5 or6.
I sold my Fatboy because once I tried a Slim I found the shaves much smoother. I think it has to do with the Slim having a lower profile head. The Slim is a milder shaver on all settings for me than the Fatboy, a shave on 5 or 6 now being similar to a DE89 and a 7 on that seems to give me the best results.

First shave with the Fatboy last night. Gillette Silver Blue (2) and set on 6 for 2 very smooth passes.

Now, I don't have particularly tough facial hair but for me, 6 was quite mild indeed. I feel I would have no problems kicking it up to 9 and I shall do tomorrow for the second shave. I can't put it down to the blade as IMO they are a sharp, smooth blade. One interesting thing to mention that I personally found, it felt almost impossible to cut yourself with this thing unless you were being really cack handed!

Having just used the pass around Digress the Fatboy on setting 6 felt like 2-2.5 for me on the Digress. Closer to 2 to be honest. I will be interested to see if the quality/efficiency of the shave changes dramatically when I crank it up to 9. The blade exposure and gap even on setting 9 don't look menacing at all.

I didn't take the Digress above 3 as I didn't feel like I needed too. After last night shave I think I might prefer the Fatboy....

Last nights shave :

3 days of long growth
Shower and bulldog face wash
PAA CaD mentholated pre shave
Tiki 'The Captain' (Post shave is so good on this)
Fatboy on 9 throughout. 1 pass WTG, 1 pass XTG and some tidying up/buffing.
Thayers witch hazel
Clubman Musk (scent goes nicely with the Tiki soap)
Nivea sensitive ASB

What a shave!! The Fatboy on 9 was incredibly smooth. At no time did it ever feel like it was going to bite me and I was left with absolutely no razor burn or irritation. 3 days of growth almost totally gone in one single pass. The efficiency of my open comb ATT but without the feeling that it could get you if you were careless.

The difference between setting 6 and 9 is quite vast in my opinion. Some people have mentioned they aren't a fan of the TTO razors as they don't hold the blade as stable as a 2 or 3 piece might. Personally, I cannot tell any difference.

One more shave with this over the weekend and then on to whoever is next! Props to the Dodgy American for giving me the opportunity to try this out :D

Its a lovely shaver in't it!
Such a smooth shaver, the blade doesn't feel like its on your face, but the shave says it must have been!
I've bid on a couple but ended up a bit rich for me :(

Ben88 said:
I didn't take the Digress above 3 as I didn't feel like I needed too. After last night shave I think I might prefer the Fatboy....

Last nights shave :

3 days of long growth
Shower and bulldog face wash
PAA CaD mentholated pre shave
Tiki 'The Captain' (Post shave is so good on this)
Fatboy on 9 throughout. 1 pass WTG, 1 pass XTG and some tidying up/buffing.
Thayers witch hazel
Clubman Musk (scent goes nicely with the Tiki soap)
Nivea sensitive ASB

What a shave!! The Fatboy on 9 was incredibly smooth. At no time did it ever feel like it was going to bite me and I was left with absolutely no razor burn or irritation. 3 days of growth almost totally gone in one single pass. The efficiency of my open comb ATT but without the feeling that it could get you if you were careless.

The difference between setting 6 and 9 is quite vast in my opinion. Some people have mentioned they aren't a fan of the TTO razors as they don't hold the blade as stable as a 2 or 3 piece might. Personally, I cannot tell any difference.

One more shave with this over the weekend and then on to whoever is next! Props to the Dodgy American for giving me the opportunity to try this out :D

Back
Top Bottom