Parker Closed Comb

Any users of the Parker 3-piece closed comb (45R, 65R, 97R, 98R, A-1R) ?' if so, I would welcome your feedback (smoothness, aggression, finish) and how it compares to other razors in your rotation. Thanks...

Hello there...I have quite a collection of parkers, one of which is the 98R..for me personally
This is a great razor, not because of it's reasonably small cost no, like neally all the handles on parkers are fairly long handle and add a good weight to the razor. The chrome plating is pretty good on both the head and handle. In spite of the heavy weight, the razor is well balanced.which like any DE razor you don't have to put any pressure on the razor while shaving;just let the weight of the razor do the work for you.

Some people have commented they had a difficult time getting a comfortable shave with this them... I suspect they are using the wrong shave angle.('like i was at first').. most DE razors work well at a 30 degree angle, both the Parker 98R and the 24C open comb,another 3 piece but OC, seem to work best at around 45 degrees. There is a large gap between the blade and the safety bar on the 98R. If the angle is too low, the bar will just wipe the lather off your face without cutting hair. myself at first was tempted to increase the pressure of the razor on the face...Which would have resulted in a bloodbath:eek:..I taught myself to Just get the angle right and let the weight of the razor do the work for me....

I suggest placing the head of the razor flat against your face and then lower the handle slowly until you begin to feel the blade on your skin. The angle will be close to 45 degrees. With the proper technique, this razor will give a wonderful shave..As for aggression, i find it mid-aggression but very efficient..again YMMV..and it's down to personal choice & technique...in a nutshell they are a good all round every day razor that perform well, give a sublime Shave,once you've got use to the steeper angle, and great looking at a very reasonable cost..if your a "Brand Snob",then you may be put off by them because they are made in India, but don't be put off by this..i wasn't ,and i now have the grand total of "SEVEN PARKER RAZORS"....Let's just say i like Parker razors.;)
I hope my un-biased insight is some use to you. Regards.:)

Last edited:
I have the Parker 97R and the A1R which is the travel version. I don't use them much nowadays but both are well made razors with the 97R having some heft to it. Prior to buying them I had seen some reports of poor quality control with poor plating etc but both of the examples I have are fine and I have no issues with either. I'd rate them on the mildly aggressive side but perfectly manageable.
I think that the travel version is a bit gimmicky as an ordinary DE razor broken down into it's constituent parts hardly takes up much room although it does come with a nifty leather pouch for storage.

Hello there...I have quite a collection of parkers, one of which is the 98R..for me personally
This is a great razor, not because of it's reasonably small cost no, like neally all the handles on parker they are fairly long handle and a good weight of this razor. The chrome plating is pretty good on both the head and handle. In spite of the heavy weight, the razor is well balanced.which like any DE razor you don't have to put any pressure on the razor while shaving;just let the weight of the razor do the work you.

Some people have commented they had a difficult time getting a comfortable shave with this them... I suspect they are using the wrong shave angle.('like i was at first').. most DE razors work well at a 30 degree angle, both the Parker 98R and the 24C open comb,another 3 piece but OC, seem to work best at around 45 degrees. There is a large gap between the blade and the safety bar on the 98R. If the angle is too low, the bar will just wipe the lather off your face without cutting hair. myself at first was tempted to increase the pressure of the razor on the face...Which would have resulted in a bloodbath:eek:..I taught myself to Just get the angle right and let the weight of the razor do the work for me....

I suggest placing the head of the razor flat against your face and then lower the handle slowly until you begin to feel the blade on your skin. The angle will be close to 45 degrees. With the proper technique, this razor will give a wonderful shave..As for aggression, i find it mid-aggression but very efficient..again YMMV..and it's down to personal choice & technique...in a nutshell they are a good all round every day razor that perform well, give a sublime Shave,once you've got use to the steeper angle, and great looking at a very reasonable cost..if your a "Brand Snob",then you maybe put off by them because they are made in India, but don't be put off by this..i wasn't ,and i have the grand total of "SEVEN PARKER RAZORS"....Let's just say i like Parker razors.;)
I hope my un-biased insight is some use to you. Regards.:)

Thank you for the detailed feedback, I appreciate same...I will probably go for the short handle 97R; I am looking for a mid-aggression razor on par with the Merkur Slant but less than the Fatip OC, both of which have lost their shine of late for me.

Thank you for the detailed feedback, I appreciate same...I will probably go for the short handle 97R; I am looking for a mid-aggression razor on par with the Merkur Slant but less than the Fatip OC, both of which have lost their shine of late for me.
That's a good choice, even though i haven't got the 97R, i only recently got a 94R which has a short handle, of which i find very effcient...what i didn't mention, was i find the three piece parkers slightly more aggressive than the TTO models.

That's a good choice, even though i haven't got the 97R, i only recently got a 94R which has a short handle, of which i find very effcient...what i didn't mention, was i find the three piece parkers slightly more aggressive than the TTO models.

...just had a quick look at the 94R...looks great and similar...

Back
Top Bottom