Owch its a gusher. Styptic?

Evening Gents.
What's the best styptic for when you get that nasty nick?
I purchased 1 off fleabay and its not up much
So I would like to know which one's really work.
Thank you.

My alum block is my only tool for this application. It generally does the job, but I will occasionally get one (always on the side of my mouth) that will continue to bleed! I tried styptic matches and they were near enough useless.

I've heard the Proraso gel in a small tube is supposed to be going for nasty cuts.

The Proraso gel in a tube is very effective. Just blob some on and it's almost like superglue for nicks and cuts that just seals up even quite big cuts in a few seconds.

(So i'm told, it's never happend to me, it was a mate of mine etc,etc,etc :LOL: :LOL: )

Alum blocks are good. They can often be found under different brands for £5 to £10 but are actually a lot cheaper than that; I managed to get a small block for less than a pound from an Indian Supermarket.
There can be a bit of sting initially depending on the severity of the cut, but the pain and blood stops pretty much instantly.
It's essentially a big lump of mineral and can be used as a deodorant as well (it has no smell but it stops body odour).

I had the Proraso styptic gel years ago and it avoided pain but felt like I had a lump of glue on my cut. Also the contents of the tube dried up when I used it a year or so later.

I have various alum blocks, but the best thing I've found for the occasional small nick is an Osma pencil in a plastic tube.

Whilst the blocks are transparent, the pencil is an opaque white, with a slightly textured or gritty feel to it. The shape makes it easier to rub a cut precisely and to concentrate on it.

These various things have been with me for years, as fortunately I don't often need to use them. The other way to prolong their life is to pay attention to drying them and storing correctly.

Sensei once told me: the body is like iron, the more you beat it, the harder it becomes.

That’s why I use a club hammer for minor cuts… it soon bangs things back into shape. Soldering irons are for wimps.

Having said that, in deference to my advancing years, I’ve ordered some of that Proraso gel. Smearing some on the end of the hammer should do the trick.

Is this why the undisputed hardman of the world - of all time - is Timmy Mallet?
Sensei once told me: the body is like iron, the more you beat it, the harder it becomes.

That’s why I use a club hammer for minor cuts… it soon bangs things back into shape. Soldering irons are for wimps.

Having said that, in deference to my advancing years, I’ve ordered some of that Proraso gel. Smearing some on the end of the hammer should do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom