Oscar Pistorius to join Arsenal!!

hunnymonster said:
No - but if you come into the part of the site that is specifically marked out as NSFW (Not safe for work) and is more "anything goes" than the rest of the site, don't be surprised if there are things in there that offend.

To me the test of offence and misogyny (or indeed misandry) is to turn it around... if the roles were reversed would we still be making puns & wisecracks about it? Absolutely. Right now we don't know if it was domestic violence or whether he knew - only those present know the truth (and one of them can't tell her story).

Hoist by my own petard - fair point, Jason. I'm glad that, in your position as a moderator, you apply the test of role reversal. I'm not sure why I'm sensitive to it - my father certainly is vehement in his contempt for those who perpetrate domestic violence, and, from discovering a book written by an elderly relative (the wonders of genealogy!), I discover that a maternal ancestor was married to an abusive drunkard...until the day when she decided that societal norms no longer replied and decked him, at which point he stopped. I can certainly appreciate a bad-taste joke along the lines of Frankie Boyle in his Mock the Week years; my personal "line in the sand" is defied by the fact that I consider his recent stand-up material unfunny and offensive in an attention-seeking way.

We can always change over to something less sensitive. A combination of Pope and Tour de France jokes:
"The Pope said he was stepping down at age 85 because he could no longer handle the job physically. To which Lance Armstrong said, 'I've got some stuff that can help you with that.'" –Jay Leno

Wow. I'm running out of joke topics! No: women, guns, sports, religion, disability jokes.
Only other funny thing that happened to me this week is that my pension just told me that they were going to take 5% more off the Gross for my health insurance. Ha! Ha! Ha!:)-(

hunnymonster said:
chrisbell said:
hunnymonster said:
<waits for the punchline>

Harsh, but, I fear, deserved. I admire Jay Leno for his taste in cars, but he's about as funny as a dose of the clap.

Well I likened him to being as funny as haemorrhoids on a long distance cycle ride...

... over cobbles, without the luxury of John Boyd Dunlop's pneumatic tyres.

Standing on the pedals NOT allowed!

Hiya,

Thought I would revive this often tasteless/sexist thread, this being the first day in hearing the final final sentencing for the man. Been just over three years since the last post here.

The original trial judge was subject to a review of some kinda judicial board that overturned her decision and sentence length in the first trial. Basically said she messed up understanding the facts pretty well. After another trial with other judges involved, Mr Pistorius was found guilty of a much worse crime. Heh, that same original judge will be doing the resentencing this week so no telling what she will come up with this time.

Martin

Hiya,

Tomorrow's the day for resentencing resulting from the more serious charge than the original. I have a feeling this judge is gonna take it easy on the year amount. So strange she's the same one as who screwed up before and now gets a do over. Really must be frustrating for so many people involved in that trial.

So he got one extra year tacked on to an incorrect lenient sentence based on flawed judgment. Same judge as before, who did end up giving him much less prison time than was expected. So six years instead of the average of 15 minimum for murder.

I have to think there is something odd going on with the judge and her opinion of the defendant. With any luck her sentence will be once again be overturned by judges who are less involved in an emotional way.

Makes South African law look pretty shabby.

Last edited:
So he got one extra year tacked on to an incorrect lenient sentence based on flawed judgment. Same judge as before, who did end up giving him much less prison time than was expected. So six years instead of the average of 15 for murder.

I have to think there is something odd going on with the judge and her opinion of the defendant. With any luck her sentence will be once again be overturned by judges who are less involved in an emotional way.

Remember OJ Simpson..:D:D

Billy

So now once again the prosecution has appealed the sentence, this time because of the extremely short prison time for murder given by that judge, and calling it 'shockingly lenient". Guess we will see what happens. Man, who knows what else that woman has done in her previous trials. You would think giving her another chance to get things right and her not doing it would be a cause to review her past cases.

Sheesh.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom