Opinel No 8 knife Carbon or Stainless?

@Fergiebilly "Ye luk afta yer kit Jimmy er I'll beast the fook oot er ye!"

Seriously though Billy I know how to look after a carbon blade: keep dry, light coating of oil was mainly interested in performance
Performance Wise..Carbon Any Day of the Week..Stainless Blades are Fine but a Lot of the Stainless is Not..So its the Quality of the Steel & Grinding that is Important Rather than Carbon Versus Stainless..There are Millions of Useless Stainless Blades Out there..Carbon an All..o_O

Billy

Carbon Steel Blades Only Rust when Not Looked After..I have to Laugh at Civilians Talkin Field Knifes or Survival Knifes..I Am a Former Royal Marine Commando & have Used Carbon Steel Blades for Years in the Field with Zero Corrosion..I Have Spent 3 Months or More in the Field in One Outing with Zero Rust on any Carbon Blade..o_O

Billy

I well remember a grandfather who as a farmer had several empty coffee cans in his barn in which he had various tools sitting to prevent rust. Inside the cans was oil. It was a smart way to preserve tools in a more frugal time as you merely put them into a can when done and had to wipe them off before usage. It was a great psychological "end run" around the constant battle we all have with being lazy.

As a side note, I squirt a few drops of anhydrous glycerine on the threads of all my razors after each usage. Lube is cheaper than a new razor.

I well remember a grandfather who as a farmer had several empty coffee cans in his barn in which he had various tools sitting to prevent rust. Inside the cans was oil. It was a smart way to preserve tools in a more frugal time as you merely put them into a can when done and had to wipe them off before usage. It was a great psychological "end run" around the constant battle we all have with being lazy.

As a side note, I squirt a few drops of anhydrous glycerine on the threads of all my razors after each usage. Lube is cheaper than a new razor.
Most of My Straight's are Carbon..I Dry them after Use..I Never Feel the Need to Oil them..I Dont have any Issues..That Said..Some Restored Blades Do Need Oiled Cause of the Pitting has Been Removed & it Leaves the Blades More Open to Corrosion..I Personally Never Touch a Restored SR..:)

Billy

Most of My Straight's are Carbon..I Dry them after Use..I Never Feel the Need to Oil them..I Dont have any Issues..That Said..Some Restored Blades Do Need Oiled Cause of the Pitting has Been Removed & it Leaves the Blades More Open to Corrosion..I Personally Never Touch a Restored SR..:)

Billy

I squirt lube only on the threads/mechanisms, two of which are zamak as I want to "baby" the plating on those threads as long as possible as it seems zamak rots there first. Just a precautionary measure. Sort of like giving saltpeter to a Royal Marine on leave. ;)

I'd get carbon. I have both and much prefer the Carbon bladed one, looks cooler too once it's patina'd!
I took the locking ring of my no. 6 to make it UK Friendly then hammered the pin to tighten it up.
I also messed about with its shape a bit...

IMG_20160408_111414740_zpsumshsmvu.jpg

I'd get carbon. I have both and much prefer the Carbon bladed one, looks cooler too once it's patina'd!
I took the locking ring of my no. 6 to make it UK Friendly then hammered the pin to tighten it up.
I also messed about with its shape a bit...

IMG_20160408_111414740_zpsumshsmvu.jpg

Now that looks like a real man's pocket knife and not some mall walking metrosexual nail cleaner!! ;)

cheers, they're cheap enough that you can mess about with them and not be scared to ruin them.
I made the copper collar so that i could lock it closed in my pocket but not open so it was in line with UK law.

Back
Top Bottom