Open office files/icons not opening

I have open office 4.1.1, and the desktop icons have recently stopped opening when I've double clicked on them, also the file in the folder won't open either.

Have tried starting task manager, ending the process and launching a new task, but nothing happens. Have ran malwarebytes scans, and it hasn't detected anything.

Anyone know why they're not opening and what I can do to fix it?

Try to repair the installation if this option available from the programs and features applet in control panel. If this is not available you can reinstall or install the latest version on top of your current install.

I had version 3.3 before and installed 4.1.1 which I thought was the latest version. Will give the repair installation a go if I can find where it is.

Have you tried right clicking the file and choosing "Open With..." or similar. A list of programs (hopefully OpenOffice ones) should appear. If it doesn't, below that there should be the option to select the program to open them with from wherever it's installed on your hard drive, and finally there should also be a tickbox to always use this program to open this type of file.

Yes I have, and it still doesn't do anything, or can't open the file.

Funnily enough I ended all the soffice.exe processes and the files started opening again! Is it something to do with the registry or some of the processes still going so a new one can't be started, hence why the file can't open?

Its weird cos when I first start up the OS (using Windows 7) they open fine but when I try to open it 5 minutes later they won't.

I assume this persists after a reboot? Probably a corrupt file somewhere.

You could try going to \users\<your userid>\appdata\roaming\openoffice.org\ and rename the folder, then check if it will load. If it does a file(s) there was the problem. You'll lose all your settings, though you can try copying them back a few at a time until it stops loading, then bin just the offenders.

If renaming your profile doesn't work then download open office again and reinstall. You can rename your profile back/copy files into the new profile if required, assuming of course a reinstall worked. If it didn't it may be time to reinstall the o/s

Have you tried installing LibreOffice which was a fork of OpenOffice? On Linux distributions it has become pretty much the defacto office package.

it will open all the files created by OO.

At least you can then see if the program or a file is corrupted.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom