Open comb help!

Anothe vote for the Fatip Piccolo, my all-time favourite razor (so far). Beautifully put together in nickel-plated brass for not very much. It has a reputation for being aggressive, which is undeserved IMHO.

Alternatively, an English New if you prefer vintage.
+1 on the Gillette New, still prefer my Piccolo but the New is a good choice as well and you can pick one up on eBay for less than the Fatip if you have the time to wait for one at the right price/condition. Watch out for bent combs, I have seen a few that I passed on when looking for one on eBay.

Hello all, I'm thinking of buying an open comb as I've never used one. Any recommendations? It would have to be not too aggressive and I don't want to break the bank! Thanks in advance.

Having tried many OC razors I won't buy another as by nature they are IMO usually too aggressive for sensitive areas, e.g., chin & around the mouth and I pride comfort over closeness. Safety bar razors any & every day for this guy. There is a reason why Gillette quit making OC razors decades ago: comfort.

OC is not equal to aggressive. There is many mild OC razors. For instance all the Gillette Raised Flat Bottom types are mild. I own 3 different and they are all mild.
On the other hand the 2nd generation British Aristocrat razor (comes in#15 and #21 sets) is fairly aggressive yet being Solid Bar.
The reason Gillette stopped making OC was strictly economical - cutting production costs.
Plus a little bit of gimmick, yet further explored later on in so called adjustable razors.

Gillette stopped making the Open Comb razors in the united states, while only continuing production of open comb razors in the British Open comb tto aristocrat family.

The reason that Gillette stopped making OC in the US was that the only real comptetition in the razor department was GEM and its Open Comb Micromatic razor line. Even GEM was making safety bar micromatics too.

Gillette stopped making the Open Comb razors in the united states, while only continuing production of open comb razors in the British Open comb tto aristocrat family.

The reason that Gillette stopped making OC in the US was that the only real comptetition in the razor department was GEM and its Open Comb Micromatic razor line. Even GEM was making safety bar micromatics too.

They stopped making OC razors when they went to stamped baseplates.

Back
Top Bottom