Open comb help!

I highly recommend the Parker 24C/26C (same head, different handles—I've read some reports that the black coating on the 26C handle tends to chip), or (in the US) the equivalent Maggard V2 open-comb head with one of the stainless Maggard handles. Those all shave the same—very comfortable, not inclined to nick, and very efficient. Use light pressure, try 3-4 brands of blades, and explore blade angle, as with any new razor.

Another excellent open comb razor at a bargain price: the RazoRock Old Type, $15 (but postage must be added to that).

However, the comb guard doesn't bring much that you don't get with a bar guard, assuming the razor is good: a different shape of guard really doesn't affect shaving characteristics. It is for this reason that I routinely recommend a slant razor as a second razor: the slanted blade does seem to cut differently. I just wrote a post of some of my reflections on the slant. The Merkur 37C and it clones are quite good, though the best slants for me are the iKon X3 and the iKon 102.

Last edited:
The Open Comb Thing Has Came Up Many Times...An Open Comb Razor Isn't Necessary any More Aggressive than a Closed Comb..The Most Aggressive Safety Razors I have Ever Owned are Mostly Closed Combs..Its the Blade Exposure that Determines the Aggressiveness of a Razor..Forums Can Hype them to be Something they are Not..:)

Billy

Too true. I have a Parker 26R, which at first glance looks like a Muhle 41, but is as mild as milk. On the other hand, CC Wardonias are much more aggressive,and the modern Shavecraft Tech will skin you alive if you use any blade that's vaguely sharp.

I am waiting for Paul at Connaught to get a supply of the Parker 24c next month based on Mike's (Leisureguy) recommendation. At only £18 it is worth a punt. I definitely don't want anything too aggressive but I know blade combination is a factor. I thought I would try a feather one more time in my (supposedly very mild) Tech 4 and still drew blood and felt horrid (tossed the last theee after that never again. As an aside to they coat feather blades?) Goodness knows what damage ai would do with those in an aggressive open comb but then my beard is not that tough. I guess it is finding out the razor / blade combo for your beard. I don't plan to buy a R41 ever lol.

Could not wait for Paul this time (though bought my Baskerville from him so all good) but have bought a 24c for £18 from Blades4U on ebay with free shipping. I will leave some feedback here once I have used it.

Too true. I have a Parker 26R, which at first glance looks like a Muhle 41, but is as mild as milk. On the other hand, CC Wardonias are much more aggressive,and the modern Shavecraft Tech will skin you alive if you use any blade that's vaguely sharp.

Is that the metal Wardonia you mean or. the bakelites.?

ikon 101 is a fantastic razor, very good quality. i would avoid fatip at all costs until you are confident with super aggressive razors, quality is very sketchy. best open comb i have used is the leresche, fantastic quality and smoother than you could wish for. very cool looking as well. i dont see a lot wrong with the old type gillettes either. technique is slightly different with open comb razors i find, with safety bars you can be led into leading with the bar and with an OC this will cause problems. put the cap on your face and roll it till you feel the blade biting, it feels a bit odd but it works and will lead to you getting a fab shave.

Back
Top Bottom