on the cheap - probably

Hi folks
I havent been lurking, but thought I'd say a quick hello and give a summary before browsing the archives.

I'm 34, a geordie in my homeland and only just resumed shaving after about 5 years 'off'! The novelty of shaving died before I was out of my teens and I endured the chore (and cost) of the mach 3 until finally calling it quits.

I've wanted to learn to use a straight for years so blindly bought some budget kit from amazon (don't groan! - I realise I should've come here first).

I think I have the basics covered so I'd really appreciate any advice or tips before I get started.
My kit consists;

Already have-
Wilko sword brush & 'shave bowl' soap
3/4 bic sb disposables
plenty of terry facecloths!
Nivea replenishing balm
loreal 'hydra energetic' (? Gift!?)
Styptic pencil

Ordered-
Candure wood handled straight razor (supposedly shave ready)
Sanguine shavette with wilko sword cartridge
basic leather strop (shaving factory)
Alum block

ideally I don't want to spend any more until I get a decent hone and a better straight, bit I'd appreciate any advice offered.

May our patter be as smooth as our chins!
Cheers.

Welcome aboard!

I'm not sure what straight you have coming, so let's see and advise thereafter. Those shavettes are okay for using half DE blades, but they're not great. Better, check out my shavette posts in the Straight Edge section - the Jaguars are pricey, but the Miraki and the Creative Edge are cheaper; cheaper still, hair shapers, which DO shave and do shave very well! These razors are much closer to the straight edge experience than the shavettes that use half DE blades.

I seem to recall Wilko soap is a bit crap in the bowl. Poor lather and what-not, but you can chuck the soap, keep the dish and grate a 50p stick of Palmolive into it for a much better experience. The brush is fine - I had one for a while, replaced in time with a synthetic Kent brush which was about £10. I'm into boar and horse now, which again are not massively pricey - somewhere between £8 and, say, £20.

Things to think of for the future if the bug bites ...

See you around.

Welcome

I don't know the Candure brand, but there are loads of cheap straight razors mass produced in Pakistan, which are crap, which come out under loads of brand names! Lets hope this isn't one but I'm afraid most straights under £50 fall into this category.

The Sanguine shavettes have a good reputation but I have not tried one myself. Shavettes they are easier to cut yourself with than a "real" straight so be prepared to have your mistakes punished.

The best way to get into straights is to buy one second hand from someone who knows what they are doing, that way you will know the razor is good quality and sharp, so any poor results you can safely say are down to technique.

See. Two things learned already!
I'll keep an eye out for palmolive and I've most likely bought a crap straight (should have known even without research that among £Â£ items £15 on amazon wouldn't get much!)

I've made a few knives already and must have a crack at my own straight though. At least I can improve on my first bought one!

Hey Greencloud. I made the mistake ofngetting a Candure razor too.

Mine arrived yesterday and no way is that going near my face!

I will use it for honing practice only I think. My cheapest Dovo is so much better. Only got the Candure as a backup but it's not nice at all.

sorry my warnimg came too late!

Back
Top Bottom