Old Shaver, New Here

I just stick to limericks to keep myself amused, or silly rhyming couplets in which English is abused. It raised a little chuckle when I referenced folk on here; the thought I might repeat it is an ever-present fear. I don't set out to do this, it's just one of my quirks, I can't explain my rhyming brain, that's just the way it works. I'd like to write a poem, replete with style and meaning, a worthy cause, dramatic pause, to these my heart is keening. While you may curse my simple verse, my fan base is quite ample: this virtual ink, a 'hyperlink', leads to one such example.

Thread 'Limerick' https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/limerick.56638/

Last edited:
When I write lyrics, the form is relaxed. When I write poems I stick to rhyme, rhythm and metre. Many 'poems', including ones in print, are nothing more than prose with excessive carriage returns.
The most important part for me is rhythm. dum DUM, dum DUM, dum DUM, dum DUM.
Why? Because poems should be read aloud. Here is a sonnet of mine:

The Art of Deception

We talked about the crisis in the arts
Tomfoolery the order of the day
Exhibiting two supermarket carts
No skill with paint or pencil or with clay

I sympathise with those who have a skill
Yet fail to get attention they have earned
And it will be a while for them until
The wheel of style is ready to be turned

Since rubbish is the thing that they expect
We had to follow suit or face neglect
But though we've garnered worldly wealth and fame
Deep down I feel pretentiousness and shame
I laughed so hard I had to dry my eyes
The day that your blank canvas won first prize

Many 'poems', including ones in print, are nothing more than prose with excessive carriage returns.
Oh that is brilliant! I've thought much the same but never been able to express it so succinctly! (Usually about those ones they put on the Tube trains when they're short of some adverts. Not that they're all bad, it's just that these are the poetry I am most often exposed to, more a comment about me than the work!)

To your sonnet, these sentiments I also share. That's not to say I can't appreciate modern art, but there are limits. On the one hand, art is not necessarily about demonstrating skill, but the lack thereof can leave you yearning for the old master painters and wondering whether the baby has been thrown out with the bath water. A friend of mine is very strongly dismissive of anything after about the turn of the 20th century, he loves the Italian masters in particular. I take a much more liberal approach and enjoy the more graphic and provocative examples of modern art, but kind of draw the line at piles of bricks, unmade beds, or indeed a couple of trolleys.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom