Ogallala Bay Rum

I've used it since I started trad shaving - excellent product. Very soothing on the skin with a manly, long lasting scent. Maguires used to do samples for a £1.00, maybe they still do. My favourite is Limes and Peppercorns but they do have a large choice. Remember to give it a good shake before you use it.

There are other Bay Rums and I'm sure other members will point them out to you. I seem to remember a discussion that Ogallala isn't a Bay Rum at all - it doesn't matter, wear what feels good to you.

i got the £1 sample of original, burns my face more than anything but maybe my skin doesnt like clove oil or something. use it with cella and you will get to smell like a christmas cake all december

Yes, I had the £1 sample about 18 months ago
I then had antibiotics and steroid cream for my face, due to the reaction to something in it

It is the juice of the devil!

The lime and peppercorn one is the most universally liked, I'm actually on my fourth bottle in three years, and I buy the larger one.
It does burn slightly on shaved skin but it only lasts seconds so it's never bothered me. It's a great smell and ladies like it.

+1 on the lime and peppercorns. I was given a bottle by Secret Santa and I have become a big fan. I'm not sure I'd have gone for it based on the name, but it is lovely.

I've just received the Bay Rum Special Reserve Cologne. I love it. Lasts a good length of time. Doesn't seem to sting my face just gives it a nice warm glow. (A bit like Ready Brek). I would recommend it, but might be worth getting a sample first.

Im not a fan of the straight BR or the cologne but have have a full bottle of the Sandalwood and thats my favourite lasts a while too - like the lime version and the sage version but def take 2nd / 3rd place.

I already had the sandalwood but then went on to get the sampler pack which is good value as you get all 3 of the above (40ml I think?) with a cologne and straight BR I think. Looking to get some of the shaving soap now to try if anyone knows what it is like

Canuck said:
Even though I liked it I found the standard bay rum cologne a touch medicine-like, there was a note there that I wasn't sure of. How does the special reserve compare?

I haven't tried the standard Bay Rum, but I know what you mean- I think it might be clove or some other similar spice. I quite like it. The Special reserve according to Maguires is a stronger version of the standard, so they are probably pretty similar.

I did the same and ordered up the sampler for a quid.

I really really wanted to like it, but when I tried it, the scent of cloves, (which in itself is ok, but to my mind, not in an aftershave/cologne), overpowered the rest of the ingredients. This was a bit of a deal-breaker for me.

During a visit to the Traditional Shaving Co. shop at the weekend, I tried versions by Truefit and Hill and Trumper. Both of these were very, very clovey too, so I guess this is the way it is. My wife says that the smell reminds her of Christmas, so perhaps I could use it as a seasonal scent.

I ended up buying Spanish Leather by Truefit and Hill and I absolutely LOVE it!

Back
Top Bottom