Obtaining a matte finish on a straight razor?

So....

Let's say someone accidentally bought a Thomas Turner 7/8 near wedge with a cheeky bid on a well known auction site.

Now, prior to having the razor honed (Hi Rob..) He wanted to the razor to have a matte finish.

Can this be achieved?

Thanks

Greg.

The answer is yes - a matt finish is just a few steps down from a well polished finish - but the best way to achieve it - and this iswhat I have read rather than actual experience - is to polish to a bright finish and then take the few steps down.

The question is why do you want a matt finish - presumably for aesthetics?

Thanks Rob,

Perhaps matte is a step too far, the razor has a very utilitarian look, it's not showy at all, pitting, hone wear, scales are a little scuffed. The current high finish just doesn't feel 'right'.

First and only bid, I may have bought a lemon.

rps20141217_220145_514.jpg

I see exactly what you mean - the technical term is the polished turd effect.

That one would look much better with a dulled down finish. Some people go to the extreme (IMO) of ageing blades in vinegar so that they appear grey.

Here an example of one of mine that would have looked silly with a mirror polish.

With this, I cleaned it up and then polished on a rough compound on a polishing mop.

Rob, couldn't have phrased it better myself! The photo you posted is exactly the look I'll be going for, your razor is very handsome.

Paul, something caught my eye with this one, and got it cheap as chips. My 5/8 hollow is a thing of beauty, but I wanted to try a heavy wedge. Hopefully ot won't be a right lemon..

Might actually be a good idea, I don't know if this thing's even got an edge....

I've set some money aside for a full bevel reset and hone..

Got me thinking- how about a blued finish (as per shotguns)?

I've got a gun blueing kit I've used on said firearms with enough to do loads of razors.....(wanders off to check the victims!)

There are numerous examples of blued tangs - I have one myself, although they tend to be on more modern razors. Bluing would not look right on these older razors.

C I'm an armourer...

With what appears to be a right lemon, some serious pitting and very manky!

Will give it a clean tonight and post some pics, looks like heavy pitting on the bevel area.

Some time ago i've restored that W&B "Nothing Better".

Img0440.jpg

334__1024x680_img0439.jpg

337__1024x680_img0446.jpg

I've tried to make satin finish on it and if you look on last picture you'll see it it is more like brushed finish. I've used those dremel bits:

139167d1377811904-wade-butcher-nothing-better-dremel-abrasive-buff.jpg

Maciek.

Back
Top Bottom