Now needing a new laptop

On top of the shower breaking my netbook has died.won't see battery, or wifi card and only 1gb of ram....feel the mobo has given up... so been given £300. Looking at getting a HP with an and 450 chip.anyone got one?think its a dm1.

The only input that I have is that you consider the size and weight of it. Have a Apple, then when my daughter took it over I bought another thing that a bigger screen would be better. Wrong. Bigger I find is good at a table or desk. Not that good in a recliner or bed. Ended up using my iPhone for everything.

monkeytennis said:
Its about an inch bigger its my net book that's died...issue is my £300 budget.very hard to find anything with a graphics card of some type.

have you looked at the amd a-series cpu's they all have graphics cards built into cpu i believe

problem is most that have graphics cards will be in the £400 range

Using my Samsung notebook right now at Starbucks. Not the fastest dog in the pack! If you notice still using the iPhone for this reply!

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=7&c=uk&cs=ukdfh1

You'll have to search manually

Inspiron 15R - N5110

i5 processor

Just picked one up for £320 delivered

Tall_Paul said:
Is that the Pavilion DM1? Just bought 96 for work.

Yep. After much looking (inc the Dell outlet) I decided I wasn't quite ready to part with the small form factor of a net book so went for that DM1. After talking to the sales chap I think I made a sound choice, and also after looking at some vids on youtube I really think i did.Will let you all know how I get on.....

Hi Monkeytennis,
I'm surprised (and a tad disappointed) that no-one has asked you;
What do you want to be able to do?
Also laptops and netbooks are different beasts.
I use a netbook (Asus eee) but rarely use the SSD which has windo$e on. I boot from SD (often the microSD in my phone with mp3s on too) or pendrives. Mostly puppylinux but other flavours too. Means I can have different media players and run from RAMDISC, so really fast on a 901 machine. A dvd or mixed mediaplayer and a seperate smartphone or tablet combo may be the way to go. Or spending time on setting up a really good cloud account and buying the hard/software to access it .........
You can't have it all, so my advice is to not look to duplicate your phone, not be a slave to one single device/system, and prioritise what you want on the move. Only then look at what is available and what it may cost. A £10 phone and a £290 bundle, £200 phone and £100 netbook or tablet? Having something to connect with your old stuff, or replacing everything to update your system? It's a pleasant task if you are honest with yourself. Despite having more money available, I got everything I needed, most of what I wanted and a few bells and whistles by buying a new phone, second hand netbook and extra ram, new microSD cards, card reader and seperate simcard reader. all in came to £104. If I spend £30 on a backup battery for the netbook I'd have a 12hour mobile office and entertainment centre! Takes my old usb speakers too.
That's without considering work/personal legal and security requirements. You may do better in a techie forum - but beware Trolls and snide sales.
love'n'joy
Lloyd
Building my own systems from friends cast-offs since 1989 Lucky to have University skips to dive into!!-

lloydedwards said:
Hi Monkeytennis,
I'm surprised (and a tad disappointed) that no-one has asked you;
What do you want to be able to do?
Also laptops and netbooks are different beasts.
I use a netbook (Asus eee) but rarely use the SSD which has windo$e on. I boot from SD (often the microSD in my phone with mp3s on too) or pendrives. Mostly puppylinux but other flavours too. Means I can have different media players and run from RAMDISC, so really fast on a 901 machine. A dvd or mixed mediaplayer and a seperate smartphone or tablet combo may be the way to go. Or spending time on setting up a really good cloud account and buying the hard/software to access it .........
You can't have it all, so my advice is to not look to duplicate your phone, not be a slave to one single device/system, and prioritise what you want on the move. Only then look at what is available and what it may cost. A £10 phone and a £290 bundle, £200 phone and £100 netbook or tablet? Having something to connect with your old stuff, or replacing everything to update your system? It's a pleasant task if you are honest with yourself. Despite having more money available, I got everything I needed, most of what I wanted and a few bells and whistles by buying a new phone, second hand netbook and extra ram, new microSD cards, card reader and seperate simcard reader. all in came to £104. If I spend £30 on a backup battery for the netbook I'd have a 12hour mobile office and entertainment centre! Takes my old usb speakers too.
That's without considering work/personal legal and security requirements. You may do better in a techie forum - but beware Trolls and snide sales.
love'n'joy
Lloyd
Building my own systems from friends cast-offs since 1989 Lucky to have University skips to dive into!!-

extract of email from monkey tenis

Thats the one I have been looking at but was wondering if anyone had tried one in the real world to see what its like. I am slightly put off by the lack of windows 7 64bit but then I have my gaming rig for most stuff. this is just for travelling around the place!

Sorry I should have said....it is as a replacement for a net book.I have a gaming rig this is just for travel and playing the odd older game on (civ 4, settlers 2 10th anneversery and maybe a few others).

Glad you like it. I'd be interested to know what the battery life is like and if it's anywhere near the advertised 6 to 8 hours.

We've bought them to replace our HP Mini's which have done sterling work for the past 3 years. Alas, tablets have killed the market for business netbooks, and the Pavilion DM1 was the only netbook-like computer I could find that came near our requirements.

Forgot to mention. By having my OS on removable media, at a pinch I can ask to use someones computer without accessing their OS. Can be mischievous too - without causing real harm.
Lloyd

lloydedwards said:
Forgot to mention. By having my OS on removable media, at a pinch I can ask to use someones computer without accessing their OS. Can be mischievous too - without causing real harm.
Lloyd

I played around with DSL and Puppy Linux a couple of years ago but, to be honest, I just found it too much hassle.

It's great if you're that way inclined and love tweaking and fiddling (which is a bit of a prerequisite to be a Linux user) but personally I'm as happy as Larry with a Windows PC and fondleslab of some description (currently IPad).

It'd be boring if we were all the same! :icon_biggrin:

I occasionally tinker with Linux but not much.got my eye on a raspberry pi Linux pc but think i shall hold off for a short while.got a Linux live SD somewhere!

Tall_Paul said:
Glad you like it. I'd be interested to know what the battery life is like and if it's anywhere near the advertised 6 to 8 hours

No if I get that sorta battery life I will be a happy bunny!!!but I doubt it I guess!

Back
Top Bottom