Now I have the time but not the money

Hi y'all

The last couple of weeks have been a bit of a trip down Memory Lane, albeit with more expensive kit. I well remember cutting my face to ribbons having decided I couldn't possibly attend the 4th Form Barn Dance without shaving for the first time. Several decades later, because I could at last see exactly what I was doing with the snazzy new LED lighting in the new bathroom, I thought to return to DE shaving - I have the time to devote to caring for myself and feel increasingly ripped-off as Gillette cartridges are priced ever higher.

Early success with a Merkur Futur on settings 1 and 2 encouraged me to double the size of my razor collection. A Parker 65R duly arrived. I suspect that Robespierre designed the head of that razor for distribution amongst the French Aristocracy and others who displeased him! All was well again by the time a Jagger closed comb razor graced my jaw - and razor head switching began!

I've just ordered a rosewood razor handle with a Tech head from Bob in the US while I await a response from the Jagger factory about the possibility of buying handle-less heads. Seems I favour the sort of handle that comes with an aggressive head but am a tender beginner so I need to become a mix and match shaver, at least for a while.

Judging from the proliferation of DE shaving equipment suppliers, there had to be a user community but it took me quite a while to discover TSR. I feel good to become a part of yet another non-main stream group - dare I say, movement.

Bechet45 said:
[size=medium]
Hi y'all

The last couple of weeks have been a bit of a trip down Memory Lane, albeit with more expensive kit. I thought to return to DE shaving - I have the time to devote to caring for myself and feel increasingly ripped-off as Gillette cartridges are priced ever higher.
Seems I favour the sort of handle that comes with an aggressive head but am a tender beginner so I need to become a mix and match shaver, at least for a while.

Hi there,

So let's see.....so far you've tried 3 razors in a couple weeks time, and have a fourth on order...heh. Yeah, there's lots of stuff to choose from all right.

Kinda interesting that you'd focus on tweaking your razor preferences so soon. I actually think that's a good idea, but maybe not right now in your case. That is, unless your technique is good and you have a favorite 'control' blade to use with each razor you sample. If that's the case, then frankenrazor away all you like. Otherwise, you might like to get a bit more reference point experience before buying more things. I know for sure the Tech you ordered is gonna shave differently than what you've tried so far, which means tweaking the technique a smidge.

Anyway, we all have our own ways of doing things. Just one point of view to consider.

Martin

Hello,

I would follow with Martin's post and prescribe the 30 day rule. This rule was given to me so it is freely given forward.

Find a razor and do not change from it. Then selected a blade that will not cause issues with your face (that may take a few different blades in a sampler to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate). Next select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those items, spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This worked for me when I started wet shaving and it has worked for most users that has truly applied this method.

Take care,
GDCarrington

Thanks for the welcomes and advice!

That Thirty Day Rule sounds a winner and I'm nearly ready to give it a go - a tad more frankenrazoring to do. I'm fairly sure of my razor of choice - the Parker 65R handle screwed to a Jagger closed comb. Still a toss up between 7o'clock blades (my father's blade of choice) and Merkur blades. But then, that adjustable Futur is a beaut to use.

Removing variables? Does the cat whacking his claws into my arse because he was hungry and I was taking too long shaving count as a variable? Does a shaving routine necessarily have to start with feeding the cats?

Thanks to antdad's lather tuturial I now have the right end of that stick so I'm expecting better results as of tomorrow morning.

Bechet45 said:
Thanks for the welcomes and advice!

That Thirty Day Rule sounds a winner and I'm nearly ready to give it a go - a tad more frankenrazoring to do. I'm fairly sure of my razor of choice - the Parker 65R handle screwed to a Jagger closed comb. Still a toss up between 7o'clock blades (my father's blade of choice) and Merkur blades. But then, that adjustable Futur is a beaut to use.

Thanks to antdad's lather tuturial I now have the right end of that stick so I'm expecting better results as of tomorrow morning.

Heh, your post made me smile,

That 30 day thingy may not be for you. Sometimes people have their own way of diving into this 'hobby' that kinda goes against the norm, but that's what's gonna make it interesting watching how your journey goes. You probably don't believe this, but right now you wouldn't know what exactly the right set up really is. Switching around stuff like razors and blades is really not to your advantage at this point in time.

However, it's all in the motivation. If you're serious about wanting to have fun while shaving, then you'll succed without any problem (well maybe a few) in the end. Yeah, having a 'healthy enthusiasm' for this 'hobby' will get you through most anything. I look forward to reading about how things are working out with the Tech.

Martin

Oh yeah, before I forget, you might ask antdad to be your mentor. He is a very patient type, and you already know how helpful he can be.

Back
Top Bottom