Novice Straight Razor Question

One of the experienced members has kindly given me some advice as to the purchase of my first straight razor. I don't want to pester him anymore, so I will post the question here.

Generally people recommend round ends to avoid nicking. Are we mainly talking about ear lobes here or general nicking all over the face. I like the look of something called a Schorkopf French which has a point. Is this a definite no go for a novice? I would have thought that this square pointed corner could be useful for finishing detail etc or will it likely end as a blood bath?

I started with a point rather than round blade - the issue is more to do with ears and extremities as you mentioned - there can be a tendency to not notice where the tip is - but I wouldn't let it affect my decision if I were you.

Good luck with it anyway - and keep posting on your progress.

Your going to be careful whatever you use. I learnt with a square point. The shaving edge is the most important part.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thank you for your helpful comments. I was about to order a Revisor, on a respected members recommendation, then I discovered Korrat's website and loved the clean lines. Ulrich makes what he calls a basic razor 6/8 near wedge with a rounded squarepoint which he reccos for beginners. (This is rounded for safety). Then, naturally, I started looking at the custom made ones.....oh dear-that's where the French point comes in to it, along with every other possible selection you can think of. Mirror polishing, beautiful scales, etc etc I realise that I should begin to walk first and should probably buy his 'basic one', which is still the best part of £150.
If anyone has any views of this 'basic one', please let me know. I am sure this makes sense. I have read up a little about the honing probs of a near wedge, but I have a really strong beard and Ulrich thinks that this would do the job nicely.

I have linked the razor below. If this is not allowed, my apologies

http://www.koraat-knives.at/english/seite23.html

I am sure that you are right about the blade. The 6-0002 just one looks a little blingy for my personal taste especially when compared to the Korrat. If only it did not have all that etching on the blade. I have just looked again and the 6-0026 which has no etching. Both say c-steel full hollow ground, so perhaps they have the same blade. The one which has extra in the engraving does not actually say extra hollow ground. If that is the case perhaps I should go for the simple looking one.

I overthink everything or should I say, always research a subject inside out. Its what I do for a living! Its part of my character but I take your point. I am not really fixed on any paricular grind, just trying to make the right purchase. Too many options perhaps but if the plane Reverso will do the trick....

Marcus- I bought a simple revisor (ie minimal decoration but shoulderless) Best shave ever- subsequently bought another (more decoration) Both are utterly superb, and as Pugh says the best modern made razor there is. Excellent service as well.

Once you get used to these you can start looking elsewhere to expand your collection- and you will:D

But the Revisors will always be a dependable 'turn to' razor.

Back
Top Bottom