Novice hone?

Hi all,

I've just started using my first straight razor I purchased from neil and I'm going to need a hone but I'm a little unsure of which one would suit me best. Can anyone help point me in the right direction please?

Depends on if you want to do touch ups or hone a blade from scratch ... Search some in here, there was a thread not to long ago with very good info.

If it's purely a matter of routine maintenance (touching up), something like a Naniwa Super 12k would do the trick, and it will offer a bit of flexibility if you add a nagura for raising slurry. It's not what I'd choose, but my honing progression is a bit eccentric. Those Müller thuringians are an absolute bargain in my opinion, but maybe not so easy to get along with at the outset.

I think if you're just starting, you don't need a hone, try and get the hang of straights before investing too much money in it.

Honing needs to be done very sparsly, around every 6 months, if you have a few, that's even longer.

So my advice, don't buy one just yet :p

Max

FrenchBlade said:
I think if you're just starting, you don't need a hone, try and get the hang of straights before investing too much money in it.

Honing needs to be done very sparsly, around every 6 months, if you have a few, that's even longer.

Max

Yeah i'm just starting out, i bought the blade from neil miller so it's honed shave ready when i bought it so i was just thinking of a hone for a touch up. I just wanted to be prepared more than anything, think i'll take your advice and do a bit of research and wait a bit thanks for all the replys though.

Vince

I wanted one for the same purpose and got an excellent one from Neil for about £20 still in its original paper. I think it was in his bargain basement and certainly was ! I i use it every other shave and i am only now returning them to Neil for a full hone every 6 months. I would email him for advice/ recommendation.

FrenchBlade said:

Max

Good advice. I was going to second the nani 12k without knowing more, but Max's post is spot on. Here is some advance reading material with some suggestions for what type of hone you want to look for, no particular hones suggested, only grit ranges.

That said, to add to the conversation, I am a firm believer in the paste/diamond spray method for self touch ups. Honing is easy, but its really not. I'll write an article about that when I have more time, but simply put, stropping is a heck of a lot easier and you have to learn it anyway. Plus, pastes are cheap. Extremely cheap.

That's my advice from the other side of the pond.

Back
Top Bottom