Notice of Intended Prosecution

Damn it! I came home to a Notice of Intended Prosecution tonight ... caught by the cash generator van a week ago. Yes, it's within 14 days, so I guess I just suck it up and bend over, eh?

In all my years of driving, this is my first offence.

I might be offered one of those speed awareness courses. Is it normal to be offered them, do you think? If so, is it worth going on?

I'm always one for taking in from someone who has more knowledge and experience than I do and never see a course or a seminar as wasted time. Perhaps this is the pull up I need to carry on safe motoring.

Damn it! It irks me giving how uninterested the Police are in crimes upon the person or property, particularly property: "Oh, that's an insurance matter. We don't get involved". Grrr! Yes, it irks me, but hey ...

I'm not going to chew myself up over it.

I rather hope I'm offered the awareness course. I'll have a fine to pay anyway, so I might as well get something valuable out of it.

Anyone here been on it? How did you rate it?

40 ... in a 30, I guess? First offence. Long term driver. Here's hoping ... or is that a lot? EDIT: That's MPH, not units of alcohol.

I was keeping pace with the several cars in front, none of whom braked, and the string of cars behind all of whom kept up with me once I'd seen the damn van. I guess we all got stung, must have been a line of 12 or 15 cars.

They normally state the speed you were clocked at. I'd be very surprised if you weren't offered a course at that speed though.

It was 40 ... I'm guessing the road was a 30, although they simply say "exceeding 30 on a speed restricted road". It's a main road, very wide ... wide enough for two lanes each side, no schools or such like, so guess a 30 road.

Well, again, here's hoping ...

I'll take it as the pull-up I need. Still, I'd like to hear from anyone who's been on the course - what did you get out of it?

In my local authority you get offered the course up to 39 in a 30 mph zone. I found the course very useful and didn't realise just how much of the rules of the road I'd forgotten over the years. The fact that you were not aware of what the limit was where you were caught maybe indicates that a reminder might be a good thing.

Paul,
If you have done no driver training since passing your test (like 99% of people) I think you'll get something from it. For me it was £95 for the course vs. £60 fine and three points (59mph in a 50mph zone). To me it was worth £35 to keep my license points free. Everyone I've spoken to learnt something from the course.

First offence!

I passed my test in 1961 and reckon I've averaged one about every three years. Mostly under 40mph but did record 92mph on a deserted motorway early one June morning.

I did one of the courses about 4 years ago. Useful. I must be about due for my next offence.

You should get the speed awareness option I did it a couple of years ago found it very interesting and got useful tips to help stay below speed limits such as stay in 2nd in a 20 mph 3rd in a 30 ect, was surprised how many over 65s were in my group, oh and watch out for the Gorillas lol

Yes it's worth doing as I hadn't looked at my highway code for 25 years even though when passing the driving test as it was pointed out during the course we actually all agree to remain up to date with the highway code.

If it was your speedometer that said 40 you were probably only doing 36 or 37. Speeding used to be counted as 10% + 3mph and discretional under that, if it still is you would have been only just in. There are penalties for a speedo showing too low a speed but it's much more lax the other way round.

I have become a big fan of cruise control in 30/40 zones especially as I have measured my speedo vs my GPS and have a more accurate idea of speed.

Hi.
I just attended a course on Sunday.
We were told that Northumberland offer it for up to 39 mph in a 30 zone, so you may not get offered it.
It refreshed my memory on speed limits and how to tell what any given road is from things like road markings, lights, dual carriage, repeater signs etc. I had also forgotten that different classes of vehicles have different maximum limits.
I have been trying to keep in 3rd or 4th in 30 and 50 zones, but it is still too easy to go over in modern cars.
What I got out of it most, is that children in urban (30 zones) are the ones that get killed most in accidents, so keeping at 30 or less does keep fatalities down.
Also keep more distance to next car and concentrate on driving and what is going on around can prevent accidents.

Back
Top Bottom