Not wanting to get beaten half to death ....

Thank 'ee, Dr Rick! That's a good list.

I am now the owner - yet to be delivered - of a Samsung Android phone! £90 to replace the 2007 Nokia 6300 I lost this morning or £115 for a smart phone (which Grand-children will sniff at). So I join the mainstream after all, anyway and curses to whoever has my old phone but switched it off when I rang it.

The adbvantage of self-insurance is the ease of making a claim; the problem is making the pay-out!

Bechet45 said:
Thank 'ee, Dr Rick! That's a good list.

I am now the owner - yet to be delivered - of a Samsung Android phone! £90 to replace the 2007 Nokia 6300 I lost this morning or £115 for a smart phone (which Grand-children will sniff at). So I join the mainstream after all, anyway and curses to whoever has my old phone but switched it off when I rang it.

The adbvantage of self-insurance is the ease of making a claim; the problem is making the pay-out!

the Samsung calendar apps are quite goo imho.

make sure to create a samsung account and google account through phone.

this will sync all your calender,contacts etc to server incase any problems with phone. then all you need to do if you go to another andriod phone is login when you first turn the phone on and it will bring back all your contacts

shanky887614 said:
......all you need to do if you go to another andriod phone is login when you first turn the phone on and it will bring back all your contacts

Now that is a facility I wish I'd had on the Nokia! The pain of re-creating the contact list is going to be considerable!

Had a nightmare with my contacts when I first moved to Android. Ended up with Exchange active sync, 2 Hotmail accounts, Ovimail, Gmail, Facebook and Twitter all syncing at once - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrgghhhhhhh. Even though Exchange is my primary and not to be changed I still managed to delete most of my work contacts from Outlook - only sync with Gmail now easier to update and link that by hand than to go through the auto trauma. shame you lost the Nokia - I was impressed with Android's ability to import all the SMS data from my old E7.

I remember backing up my Nokia to an old SIM - once - years ago. I'm going to have to input the whole lot over again.

What is 'Exchange'? Where do I get it? I figure with a Smart phone I can back up contacts to server somewhere.

Exchange is a mail server, if you want to use it you will need to pay monthly.

www.office365.com

Sorry didn't mean to confuse the issue. Microsoft Exchange is a business server based mail client though you can do cloud based. You should have everything you need on Gmail Bechet45 including the option to save a backup.

If you go to the web client for Gmail and on to the contacts page there is a button marked "more" just below the top of the page.
Clicking on "more" gives you a drop menu, in which you will find "Export" clicking on this will give you options on which contacts you want to copy and what format you want them in.

You may what to consider the privacy laws of your country before you store your email or documents on a system that you do not have physical possession of( your own hard drive).
In the US:
As the law stands now, the authorities may obtain e-mail without a warrant if it is older than 180 days, thanks to the Electronic Communications Privacy Act adopted in 1986, e-mail ( such as gmail; yahoo; the cloud etc) left on a third-party server for six months was considered to be abandoned, and thus enjoyed less privacy protection. However, the law demands warrants for the authorities to seize e-mail from a person's hard drive.
Need to be careful of what you store.

Johnus if they want to look at all my old junk mail and twaddle they can. I have separate accounts for controlling my evil underground empire which are set to delete mail on the server after it is delivered which is then stored in Truecrypt containers described as Mp3s with a secret complex P@55w0rd that no one will ever guess!

Damn!

For a free contact backup you might want to try IDrive Contact. Free app for I phones. I've used it for sometime and it seems to work. You can read up on it under the apps app. They also have one for photos that you keep on your phone. I find that the phone one takes quite a while to copy pictures if you have a lot on your phone.
The app for contacts is very quick.

Back
Top Bottom