Noobie Shave

Thanks for all the nice welcomes and even offers of sample blades from the nice people here. I thought I would give you the rundown of my first shave with the Edwin Jagger DE89 which came through the post today. I also have an artificial badger hair brush and was using prorasso green shaving soap and loaded the razor with one of the complimentary feather blades that came with the razor.

I took my time and followed the three pass method that most recommend, not putting on any pressure on the razor, letting the weight of the razor do the work and taking my time. I have to say the results are largely very positive. I did not cut myself and I had a very close shave with the razor: much better than any multiblade Gilette or Wilkinson Sword blade BUT what I can say is that I received quite a lot razor burn from the razor. My face is not bumpy and blotchy but my skin has a tingling sting that is still there from this morning. I guess I just have to get used to a DE blade. I have read that these feather blades are the sharpest in the world so I guess I jumped in at the deep end!

Last edited:
Hi matteob!

Hmm.. try doing two passes tomorrow - one with the grain, one across, missing out the against and see if that makes any difference. Some, like myself, just have hair under their chin that's too coarse to take the savage beating of an ATG pass!

Wishing you well
Matt

Hi matteob!

Hmm.. try doing two passes tomorrow - one with the grain, one across, missing out the against and see if that makes any difference. Some, like myself, just have hair under their chin that's too coarse to take the savage beating of an ATG pass!

Wishing you well
Matt

I agree, 2 passes is more than enough

As others have said, only do two passes, it will take a good few weeks until your skin gets used to DE shaving, you will probably have less issues next time, the feathers are a sharp blade, but the DE89 is a mild razor, so don't try and over shave in sensitive areas.

Your skin's getting used to a different way of shaving, so it might protest a bit. Building blocks are the key; a well hydrated face, take your time getting the lather right, easy with the passes (perhaps leaving ATG for now). Consider post shave too; witch hazel is a good toner and mild astringent, good skin foods, balms etc. Don't seek that arguably elusive 'BBS' by going over the same ground; you'll just be asking for trouble.

'Face mapping' is useful too; your hair grows in different directions. There's some good videos out there explaining this. Check out Kevy Shaves on YouTube for an interesting one.

Back
Top Bottom