Next set of questions.

Hey guys...

I've been using a DE Razor to shave now for a couple of weeks and so far there has definitely been an improvement in results.

Since starting, I notice that no matter how long I wash/rinse my blade for there still seems to be a thin layer of powdery type substance from the maca root cream (almost like the stain you get around your mouth if you don't rinse the toothpaste away properly). How can I combat this effectively?

Shaving itself seems to be less painful than before, and my skin doesn't have that fiery feeling to it. There is still some irritation though, particularly to my chin/neck area and quite often its not as close a shave as the rest of my face (which usually becomes very noticeable after a few hours or in the morning).

What are my next steps to improving my shave? My neck has started to get small spots again (although no where near as bad). I also do not shave daily, I tend to do every other day to give my face time to relax, however I will want to start doing it daily.

Any tips for the next stages are welcomed :)

Thanks!

There is something called "blade n handle combo"..that is figuring out which which DE blade works well with which handle or handles..then in a few years time...onto straight razors..strops..hones... :lol:

B

"thin layer of powdery type substance"
That's just soap residue, water rinsing alone won't remove that, but it's normal. I change blade every 3 shaves and once the blade is out I give the parts a wipe with a clean towel and it's all shiny again. If you get a lot of buildup through leaving it too long, use an old toothbrush and a dab of shower gel and it will remove all the old soap residue.

Not sure why you're getting irritation, could be allsorts. Might be the blade, the cream, a little too much pressure... hard to say, but you'll work it out as you shave more and maybe experiment a little.

Amnesia180 said:
...My neck has started to get small spots again (although no where near as bad)...

Make sure you "feel" the direction your beard grows on your neck - you'll be surprised.

Shaving straight down could actually be going against the grain.

Against the grain = bad for most men.

As 'Canuck' said, the residue is normal. I assume you're not using loads of shave cream so that excessive amount of residue is left on the blade.

As 'joe mcclaine' also said mapping your face is very important. You need to do that, it is essential to get good shaves. It may take some time to really figure out, but do work on it. One of these days when you'll have 48hrs stubble, check it out, feel how your beard grows. You may observe that in the neck area, for example, it grows sideways. Then this will tell you that over there you need to be more careful.

Furthermore, applying less pressure over the neck area is equally important. Load the razor with a generally accepted 'forgiving' or 'standard' blade, then shave the neck area by applying the weight of the razor only and nothing more. Do not push down the razor when shaving, this will only make things worse. The razor you're using should not be a very light one, i.e. an aluminium travel Tech for example. This requires a more skillful shaver as it will inevitably ask the user to apply some pressure according to experience.

On blades: I mentioned the word 'forgiving'. Just do not try any blade that is too sharp or too mild, e.g. avoid Feather blades for starters (although we do not know, they may be great for you). Do not use blades after three shaves each, at least in the beginning. There are people who stretch blades to 7 shaves or other people who use a blade sharpener and use one blade per month, but they have all experimented long enough and know what they're doing.

On prep: Take a shower or wet your face and neck really well. Make good lather and apply it on the face, then let it stay there for 1-3 minutes. This helps. Choose razor to use or load your razor with a blade in the meantime.

Then shave with short strokes and without shaving the same area multiple times. This is equally important. Stick to the razor, blade and soap for at least a week, unless something goes horribly wrong. Then change only one variable. Situation should improve, irritation on neck should reduce and you should be able to shave daily once this is achieved. :)

Good luck.

I'd agree with the chaps who have already commented. Beard mapping, blade angle and no pressure except the weight of the razor are probably (along with good prep) the main factors in improving the comfort and quality of the shave.

Thanks for all the great replies everyone.

I vary between showering first and wetting my face/neck first. The reason being, is that after a shave, my neck can sometimes feel on fire and I like to get in the shower afterward to take away the burning feeling.

Since using a DE Razor, the burning sensation has been no where near as bad.

I do tend to go down with the razor on my neck, so I will check after the weekend (with no shaving) which way the stubble is growing.

This morning my neck looked a lot better than it did last night, it seems a lot of the irritation/rash has gone away. However, my stubble comes through quite quickly and it often looks "messy" after a few hours of shaving. BUT, I have a feeling this is down to me still getting used to using a DE Razor and being able to give myself a close shave rather than an inconsistency with the actual blade.

I'm using the Boots own range of DE Razor with the standard blades that came with it :)

Thanks again all!

All of what has been posted above is spot on.

All I'd say is try different things, changing one thing at a time to see if it makes a difference, thus ruling out the things that don't suit you.

There are lots or variables, but that's one of the fun things about this hobby.

Once you get that sorted you can have confidence in your kit and concentrate on your technique.

It's also a bloody good excuse to buy a load of stuff.

Amnesia180 said:
I'm using the Boots own range of DE Razor with the standard blades that came with it :)

Ah, now, might this be the problem? I started DE shaving with the Wilkinson Sword Classic, which I understand is not dissimilar to your Boots razor. This type of razor tends to be handle-heavy, so the user needs to press a bit to keep the blade in full contact. I found that I only developed the "muscle memory" of using little or no excess pressure once I moved to an all-metal razor with more of a head-heavy balance.

Thanks guys,

I shaved again this morning (no break, 2 days in a row) as last week when I tried I had quite a bad outbreak of spots (it was more than a shaving rash, but not as bad as full blown acne!). Anyway, today is much better. I can feel little/no heat/rash and there is hardly any visible irritation.

I think I'll join the PIF thread for blades... that will give me a chance to try a couple out. (Unless anyone has any specific recommendations here?).

Eventually, I'll be back to ask for help on a new DE Razor too...

Thanks!
Amnesia

I've found the best way of mapping the beard is to let grow for a couple of days and then run your fingers over the stubble to see which way it grows. The other week I discovered that I have been spent 30 years shaving my neck the wrong way! :roll: With multi-blade razors and nasty aerosol ( arse-ol ) chemicals!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Back
Top Bottom