Newbie with sensitive skin

Hi there. Gonna give you my honest opinion, that, it is, in many cases, against what most people are saying. I'm not saying that I'm right or wrong, but this worked for me.

Sensitive skin - You, most likely, don't have it. Just because you are getting some razor burn when you shave, it does not mean that your skin is sensitive, but that your technique or gear are not good enough. I'm having sensitive skin. And, for me, it means that when I try out a soap, I have about 60% chance of not using that soap anymore, because I will get some kind of irritation from it.

Razor - Merkur HD is kinda mild. That might sound good, but, for me, it's not good at all. It's simply not effective enough at removing my stubble. I'm 31 years old too, and I have a thick stubble that grows fast. I started on the same path, DE89>Merkur HD and I was getting bad shaves. Not close enough, or with irritation Afterward, I started getting great shaves only with Merkur Futur. Having a more effective razor really opened my eyes. I didn't have to pass too many times over the same spot, and that reduced my irritation by a lot.

Pre-Shave - I found that our faces are not the same. Many people shower before the shave. If I do that, I'm getting razor burns and a bad shave. My skin must be softer, so it can't deal with the razor. I prefer shaving in different parts of the day than the part when I shower, or I wait for about an hour after I showered to shave. Just works for me. I have tried pre-shave soaps and I think that they are glorified bar soaps. You can use a simple bar of glycerin-based soap at pre-shave, for the same results. Most of the time, I don't use anything else than warm water for "pre-shave". Some people are using conditioner. I find that to be awful for my face.

Bowl - I hate it. Tried to bowl lather, I prefer face lathering. I feel like I'm having more control over the lather, and the time when I rub the brush over my face is relaxing for me. Personal preference.

Blades - Variety pack is really helpful. Again, the term "mild" can be misused here, as it is with razors. Blades work differently for everyone. I find that blades that are generally considered "mild", as Voskhod or Rapira, are actually "blunt" for me, and I don't like using them for shaving. I prefer sharper blades, like Polsilver Super Iridium, Gillette 7 O'Clock, Gillette Platinum and even Derby. Derby, on my face, does not feel blunt. Just try out a variety of those.

Brush - You pretty much have two options if you want a good performing brush. Synthetic or boar. I love them both. Stick with good brands, like Omega, Semogue, Razorock, Muhle/Edwin Jagger, and you should be fine. I would highly recommend a synthetic as first brush, just because you don't need to break it in. Or maybe both, a synthetic and a boar brush, just to check them out. I do not recommend badger brushes when you start out. Too expensive and they don't offer anything over the synthetics in terms of performance. They are luxury items.

Post shave - This is actually a personal preference. You should get something astringent, that can help you out with razor burn. You might encounter some when you start up. Any AS balm/lotion have some kind of astringent, so they will all work. The alcohol in the post-shave lotions is not necessary. It was 50-60 years back when people were using rusted blades to shave in their dirty courtyards. But, right now, we're pretty sanitized. You don't have too many chances of catching tetanus, as most blades are rustproof now, so, the disinfectant part is a little outdated. You can go for an alcohol-free balm, like the Nivea one if you don't enjoy the alcohol sting.

Alum - Not necessary, but good to have around. Good for cuts, but also for grip. The properties of alum block can give you more grip when you spread it over your wet fingers if you feel that your razor is slippery. I don't recommend using the alum block after each shave. Just use it locally, if you are getting some razor burn or a weeper. It will close those down a bit.

Shaving cream - I recommend getting whatever you find in a near shop. Most shops carry some kind of cheap shaving cream. Most of them work great. You can move up to soaps later on. I recommend going for big brands. Nivea, Palmolive, Proraso, all have good shaving creams that you can try out. You are safer for allergic reactions with these, as they are so widely spread.

Most important. Try out, see what works for you. Don't do the same mistake twice. If something does not work for you, don't do it just because is a general consensus and it works for many people. We all have different faces.

Sorry for long post. I hope you'll find something that might help you in it.

Hi smurfK

Thanks for the post. It's great to hear from different people with their personal opinions and preferences. As you said one thing won't work for everyone but it's only by hearing these different views that I'll be able to experiment and find out what ms right for me!

I've now wet shaved twice. I'm getting some irritation on my chin from the corners of my mouth downwards. Small red spots which aren't too sore but don't look great and I'm worried they aren't going to go away as I'm just shaving over them. I think I'm just going to keep my routine as simple as possible and try to give me skin time to adapt. There are just so many variables (razor, blade, cream, prep, AS etc etc) that I have no idea what could be giving me
Problems!

Try mapping your beard a little bit. Just identify how is your hair growing on those areas. Especially around the neck, and even in the chin area, for many of us, the hair is not growing "ideally", from north to south, but it's having some odd patterns. Try going with the grain if you are getting irritation, and don't focus too much on getting a close shave right from the start.

Let your beard grow for a couple of days & then get a cotton wool pad, use it to find which direction your beard grows. @Kevy has posted a very good YouTube on how to do this.
Make sure the first pass is in the direction of growth (with the growth, wtg), 2nd pass across (xtg).
Use the lightest touch, float the razor over the skin, no pressure.

It seems that you may be shaving against the grain (in itself not necessarily a problem, technique and lather need to be good), and with either some pressure or perhaps shaving over areas with no lather.

In summary;
Map beard and WTG + XTG for now
No lather, don't shave it
No pressure, really none at all.

Don't be put off, we've all been there.

Let your beard grow for a couple of days & then get a cotton wool pad, use it to find which direction your beard grows. @Kevy has posted a very good YouTube on how to do this.
Make sure the first pass is in the direction of growth (with the growth, wtg), 2nd pass across (xtg).
Use the lightest touch, float the razor over the skin, no pressure.

It seems that you may be shaving against the grain (in itself not necessarily a problem, technique and lather need to be good), and with either some pressure or perhaps shaving over areas with no lather.

In summary;
Map beard and WTG + XTG for now
No lather, don't shave it
No pressure, really none at all.

Don't be put off, we've all been there.
In summary:
NoPressure.png

tetanus doesn't come from rusted metal. and alcohol actually does nil to prevent it. It can help but it wont prevent it.

Another repeat fee for you!
Now, if you could do another video showing how to determine the correct shaving angle on the back of your hand or your arm, using a bunch of different razors, I'll quote you twice as often.
And one that shows what happens if you use pressure when shaving. Oh. I forgot. That was your first video. :D:D

Post shave? My kids all had eczema. We had bottle after tub after tube of creams for it. We still do. I have started using them as post shave moisturiser and it works a treat.

That said, the damage is done during the shave so there is no point trying to fix the problem by putting moisturiser on a horse that has bolted or some such tortured metaphor (not even sure it's a metaphor)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

I can't use an electric shaver due to sensitive skin, I never go against the grain so I need to shave more, but about a year of de shaving has really improved my skin but not my bank balance .
I love it

Do I need a bowl?
Do I need post shave?
Do I need alum block?

you need just patience and some experience ... A bowl can make your shave more pleasant and specia. I don t find a pre shave very useful but well...you can try. Alum block is something too cheap to avoid to buy it, keep one in your barber shelf. An after shave is mandatory in my opinion, no matter is a balm, a mixed balm and solution or a classic aftershave. Shaved skin is FULL of microscopic opened wounds to be disinfected and immediately closed. Time will give you more experience and this is not about... years. Use water +backing soda (1 teaspoon and 300-400 ml water) as a final rinse for face and neck. Don t forget to say "I m handsome, funny, smart and bold" every time before leaving the mirror. Good luck! :

Sensitive skin.Tell me about it lol I had really bad eczema as a kid & later developed impetigo from being left to my own devices.It's a problem that takes a lot of sorting out & a lot of trial & error believe me.Good luck on the shaving journey pal:)

Hello and hopefully you're starting to feel slightly better for your new routine.

I've always had bar irritation on my neck, having to shave everyday doesn't help this!

The 34C is a great razor to start with, even to have as your only razor really. Play around with blades and see you how feel, most people seem to settle for Astras or Gillettes. Maybe when you get the hang of the angles then you could try straight razors? They'll help cut down irritation too.

Soap is probably the most subjective part of all this. There are loads of great artisans in the UK, all who have been mentioned before. There are also one or two not so good ones! A classic you might like to consider is Mitchells Wool Fat. My current favourite for irritation, sensitivity and dry skin is Tcheon Fung Sing Tobacco Verdi.

Post shave: The only thing I swear by is Witch Hazel. Whatever form you fancy, Thayers is the standard personally, Lucky Tiger is nice too, that has a few other herbal things in it. Aftershave is nice but not totally necessary. Alum Blocks will probably sting you, make your face a little bit red for 10 minutes or so, but actually its pretty good for clearing bacteria that cause rash. Does tend to dry out your skin quite a bit though.

Remember, its all subjective! Find what works for you.

One thing I've learned by trial and error is that the fewer products I use, the better my skin feels for it. I.e. no exfoliating products (shaving soap and brush does a good enough job of that for me), no pre-shave, no alum and no aftershave containing alcohol. I just use cold water throughout the shave, quality soap/lather and a pea's worth of after-shave balm.

The other thing is that, due to stiffness of the blades, single edge blades are much less likely to give me irritation compared to DE. In fact, I rarely reach for a DE razor these days.

I have the same problem as you and here is some advice I have been given in last few days. Use a nice sharp smooth blade with a fairly forgiving and mild razor. The ones that have been recommended to me are Voshkods and PolSilver. A pre-shave oil or cream like Prorasso is supposed to be a good idea too. As for witch hazel I have sworn by this for years even when shaving with cartridges. I keep a bottle of distilled witch hazel handy and a tube of the gel in my travel bag and apply it to any area that is prone to getting sore and developing a rash. It has always cleared things fast. Oh and I have dug out my grandad's old shaving scuttle too. It is like a shaving cup but you put hot water in the bottom and then lather up in it. It keeps the lather warm and this is supposed to make a better shave.

Back
Top Bottom