Newbie from Stoke, UK

Hi all, I'm a proper newbie as I haven't even got a de yet but have been thinking about it for some months now. An article I read recently claiming that de shaving reduces the amount of ingrown hairs had pretty much convinced me to take the plunge as this is something I suffer from a fair bit with my Fusion Proglide.

Any pointers on decent kit; razor, brush, soap/cream (styptic! ) would be welcome and also a good retailer in the UK.

Cheers!

Hi

Welcome to the Shaving Room. More knowledgeable people than me will advise you on best kit, but you don't have to spend a packet on equipment that will give you a very good shave.

Welcome!

Well, I think it comes down to attitude and technique as much as any equipment. Personally, I find cartridges are TOO good - they shave too close, for me. I can get baby's bum smooth with a traditional razor, but I don't get the ingrowers that come from such a very close sub-skin shave that cartridges seemed to have given me.

If you're like that, you'll want a DE razor - pick up a Merkur or a Muhle. The Merkur 34C is very popular, as is the Muhle R89. Blades? Grab some Gillette green as a good baseline. Yellow are sharper, go Russian for sheer shaving class :D

Soap, start out with good old Palmolive, either a stick or the shaving cream as your baseline, get a simple badger brush ... buy better later. Aftershaves, go classic. Brut, Old Spice, Jovan. Drop into Boots and fill yer ... erm ... boots?

The process is a damn good wash, perhaps hold hot flannels over your face for a minute or so, lather up, shave, hot rinse, cold rinse ... cold rinse is very important and then some aftershave. If you're cut to ribbons, apply an alum block to your face after the cold rinse onto your wet face. Leave it a couple of minutes and wash off. I use alum routinely, although I rarely nick or cut now. I find it gives me an honest opinion on how good I thought my shave was ... if somewhere stings, it wasn't as smooth as it could be. That's advanced, so for now enjoy how that and the cold water stops up the flow of blood. Aftershave splash and perhaps an EDT on the sides of your neck, you're done.

Jump in, have a shave, see how you like it ...

Re: RE: Newbie from Stoke, UK

IanM said:
Ayup duck.

:)

Ian

Are you a clay 'ed too ianm?

Thanks PJGH, just the kind of advice I was after. As you say I get a really good close shave with a cartridge but perhaps too close (I'd not heard the phrase sub-skin before tonight) to the point that my skin is sore for a good few hours after and getting probably 2-3 in growers a month.

I hold hot face cloths against my skin now before shaving so it won't be such a large step change...

Welcome to TSR

Like with most things start slowly and build up gradually.

Keep browsing and you will see a lot of advice and ideas. And you can spend as little and as much as you want. But your shaving technique is much more important than the products you use in securing a satisfying shave.

irh77 said:
IanM said:
Ayup duck.

:)

Ian

Are you a clay 'ed too ianm?

Thanks PJGH, just the kind of advice I was after. As you say I get a really good close shave with a cartridge but perhaps too close (I'd not heard the phrase sub-skin before tonight) to the point that my skin is sore for a good few hours after and getting probably 2-3 in growers a month.

I hold hot face cloths against my skin now before shaving so it won't be such a large step change...

I am indeed, for my sins.

Ian

Welcome from fellow Potter. residing in the South
Suggest you look at site Shaving Shack, lots of advice and Shop.
You might start off with Basic Wilkinson/ Razor and blades from Boots, they do a cheap
Brush, and Palmolive cream is good.
Would get some Blade samples ASAP from Shaving Shack or Connaughts, Gilettes or
Personna are good to try.
Be careful, can be quite addictive pastime, no longer a chore.

So I've been having a look around and found a starter set on 'the traditional shaving company'. It consist of...

Merkur 34C HD
Badger brush
Taylor of Old Bond Street Cream 150g
35 sample blades including includes 5x Astra Superior Platinum, 5x Derby Extra, 5x Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge, 5x LORD Platinum, 5x Shark Super Stainless, 5x Treet Platinum Super Stainless and 5x Wilkinson Sword Double Edge

This costs £61, is this a good price and more importantly, is it a good set?

Most of the items have a fixed price, the unknown is the quality of the brush. If it's a good one, that's a reasonable price, if it isn't then you might do better elsewhere. Others will tell you more about brushes, I bought mine used from eBay and got an absolute beauty, but for all I knew I could have bought a complete dog.

Stokies takin over. Welcome. Loads of good, friendly advice on here. No ingrowers for me since I started DE shaving. I've got sensitive girly skin so cold or tepid shaving stops me getting redness or razor burn. Duck.

Well at least you made a decision, the razor is very popular. You will find that the blades
vary,according to your skin.
Would suggest you start off with something like an Astra,the you will notice a difference
with the likes of the Shark/Derby. I personally have renounced the Wilkinson.
Keep on eating the Oatcakes, I do enjoy them when I can.

Back
Top Bottom