Newbie DE razor shaving initial thoughts and Muhle R89 vs Hensen AL13 V2 Medium comparison

I will start this review by saying I am 53 years old and have always been a cartridge razor man. I have only been wet/DE razor shaving for around a couple of weeks so please read my comments in that context.

Having solicited forum feedback on what my first DE razor should be, the Muhle R89 got several mentions as did the Henson AL 13 V2 medium. I decided to but a R89 Twist and a few blades. I shaved with it a few times using a variety of soaps, croaps and creams (Proraso, Stirling, RazoRock, GFT and TOBS) - each of which is excellent in its own way. I also bought a Simpsons Best Badger brush and then a Yaqui 26mm knot Synthetic. Both brushes are excellent - once you get the hang of how to build a lather properly .

Results from the first couple of shaves with the Muhle were disappointing - and I was left considering whether I should simply use the soaps and brushes and go back to a cartridge razor. I decided to persevere - and I have gradually got better with each shave, both in terms of building a good lather and quality of shave. I can now get a very good shave from the Muhle.

I bought some cream/a splash from @Borygmi on the forums BST section - and he offered to sell me a Hensen AL13 V2 Medium for a good price. Deep in the rabbit hole, I of course bought it out of curiosity. Following a brief exchange of messages, I bought the razor from Borygmi. He threw in a load of soaps, a wide variety of blades, a stand, etc to help me along with my journey. Great example of spirit of this forum.

Comparison initial thoughts :

Blade choice
- I have been using the Green Astra and Lord Platinum blades in the razors and have found the results with both to be better than the original Muhle blades, although I may give them another go.
Looks - I appreciate this is subjective, but IMHO the Muhle is a gorgeous looking razor - and I think it looks like a DE razor should. To me, the Hensen looks/feels a bit cheaper (albeit twice the cost new).
Weight/Feel - The Muhle is somewhat heavier - and the Hensen almost feels like a cartridge razor in weight.
Handle - I really liked the feel of the Knurling in the Muhle. Given the lighter touch required, this is important. The Hensen almost promotes a slightly tighter grip given the lighter weight, so the knurling, or lack thereof, is less important
Ease of use - easy to load a blade with both. It was a little easier to find the correct blade angle with the Hensen - but not much.
Stability - the blade in the Hensen feels like it is locked into place very securely with no give at all. This is no doubt attributable to the baseplate/head design. It feels almost cartridge like in this respect.
Shaving: I need to use a lighter touch with the Muhle. You can get away with a little more pressure with the Hensen. The Hensen also feels more forgiving and a bit more cartridge like - but not as forgiving as a cartridge.
Shave results - both razors produce excellent results. In my inexperienced hands, I would say the Henson is easier to use and it gave me a slightly better shave. That said, I am confident the Muhle will give me an equally good shave as my technique continues to improve.

Conclusion: Both the Muhle & Hensen are excellent razors. The Muhle definitely has the edge in terms of looks, but, much as I like the Muhle, I think the Hensen is easier to use and is more forgiving/relaxed for the novice. This morning, I shaved with the Hensen and can honestly say, it was at least as clean as any cartridge shave I have had. That said, I cant help but feel I am 'cheating' with the Hensen. In fact, I would almost classify the Hensen as a hybrid/transition razor on the basis it has a few cartridge like characteristics. I think I will exclusive use of the more forgiving Hensen may promote poor shaving technique, so I will keep both razors and continue to work on improving my technique with the Muhle.

My newbie shaving notes:

1) be patient and persevere - enjoy the process/experience of wet shaving and improving technique over time. The results will be worth it.
2) enjoy the various creams, soaps, scents, etc available. Shaving does not have to be a chore, but be prepared to explain the need for more space to the missus
3) it is important to regulate amount of water, water temperature , etc to generate and maintain a good lather throughout the shave.
4) get to understand the direction in which your hair grows. You can only shave with, across or against the grain if you have this understanding
5) when shaving, once you find the correct blade angle, hold onto it using a stiff wrist.
6) Most Importantly - don't attempt to shave your bits until you are completely confident with your DE razor technique!

Interesting review.

I don't know if you are doing this already, but I find using 1 razor for a whole week really let's you iearn how to use it.

Back
Top Bottom