New Toys

daz

I recently bought a Muhle R41 from another forum member as I am ready to move on from the Boots job after trying many different blades in it. I read quite a bit about this particular razor including all the scare stories. I have had two shaves with it so far and quite like it, it certainly has to be treated very differently from the other razors I have tried. The first time I tried a feather in it, bad mistake and I ended up spilling a bit of claret! The second time round I stuck an Astra SP in and it was marvellous! Two passes, one with, one accross and I was done with no bleeding. It feels very much like a cut-thoat, but a little less dangerous.
I decided today to make a handle for it as I really don't like the skinny one that it comes with, I also glued in a 26mm silvertip knot to a brush handle I made the other day. I kinda messed up the glue part and put a bit too much in, it squished up the sides while setting the knot in but I managed to rescue it and learned a lesson!
Another couple of hours and I will be able to take the brush for an eagerly awaited test drive:icon_razz: Now I just don't know which one of my soaps to use.

[attachment=5441]

Attachments

• new1.jpg
    new1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 96
oh you kind of people just make me sick, with your hand made this and that!!!!

Ha ha only joking, they look great as always Daz, just jealous I don't have those skills. :-(

daz said:
I recently bought a Muhle R41 from another forum member

I decided today to make a handle for it as I really don't like the skinny one that it comes with,

I do like some things about that handle. Nice having it a little fatter at the bottom, and tapering up as you go. Knurling seems like it wouldn't be slippery. Kinda reminds me of a dart.

Martin

Hey Tackleberry, I could always sell you one to go with that de handle, what type of knot would you like? :)

OrangeSport, it is a nice razor but needs to be treated with a wee bit of care and respect. Do a bit of research on this very site and when you get it take your time, let your skin tell you what's going on, this one needs a completely different angle to avoid pain and blood loss. It gives a really, really close shave though and I am looking forward to getting to know it better

Hiya dodgy, the hande is in fact the same size top and bottom. I think it is the set up of the photo that makes it look the way you describe. But yeah, come to think of it,it does remind me of a dart handle. But you have given me some ideas:)

I would love one daz, I have no idea about the knots though, I've only ever had a Wilkinson which broke up after a short time and now I'm using a cheap bristle Men-U brush.

I have no idea on cost yet Helveticum, the knot itself was near £20 including delivery. So you can pick whatever knot you like and I can make a handle to fit once I get a hold of the knot. PM me if you are interested mate.

Dimitris I have no idea? I found some info on here that said to place the head on your skin at right angles, then close the handle into your face until you feel the blade touch your skin. That is the right angle! I am going for a shave in 10 minutes so will have a look at the angle for you. If you have a look at the blade in the head you will see it sticks out almost at 90 degrees, if you used an angle for another DE, the Muhle will just scrape over the skin and pull the hairs out as oppsed to cutting them. Will ley you know my findings shortly.

My Wilkinson broke 3 days ago Tackleberry, had it for seven years although it hasnt been used much for the last three or four. Have you tried the Vulfix 404 yet? I got one from Nannys about a week ago and it is a great brush for the price. I think it was about £16 including delivery (plus or minus a quid) and it arrived real quick. I can send you mine to try for a few days if you like? I have the new one above to play with so wouldn't miss the Vulfix for a while.

daz

Some people have reported success with blade perpendicular to the grain (i.e. handle parallel to face) but I got razor burn this way.
I also follow your method, but sometimes the comb doesn't touch the face! Gulp.
Thanks the info, will PM for some handle info.

Hi Dimitris, in my experience with different razors (including straights) all this angle measuring crap never worked. I was only starting to get good results after relaxing and letting your body/subconsciousness do the job and find the right angle that just kinda feels right. Let go and slide ;)

dimitris said:
Some people have reported success with blade perpendicular to the grain (i.e. handle parallel to face) but I got razor burn this way.

With the handle parallel to the face the blade will scrape rather than cut, less chance of a bad cut. but high chance of razor burn and it will feel very rough as it drags across your face. And thats exactly how it felt like for me. As Helveticum says, it will need some trial and error, I have only ad 3 shaves with it now and each one has improved but I am guessing it will take a few more to get it just right.

That's a very kind offer daz, I haven't tried any brushes other than the Wilky one and my new Men-U, which is 100% better than the Wilky!! I've looked at the Vulfix and it's on my list of things to buy as it seems to get good reviews. I'm ok for now though, thanks again for the offer.

Back
Top Bottom