New to DE shaving, need help please

Hi Everyone

I found this forum by just generally browsing and researching a razor which was on offer, Excellent forum. Anyhow, decide to purchase a full kit and just had a first shave today.

Followed a lot of reviews and advice on here and watched geofatboys you tube videos.

Had an ok(ish) first shave which took several passes (around 6 or 7) just to get somewhere near passable, with still some grain on the neck area but was sore to do any more passes. The question is how do I improve on this? The problem that I have got is the angle of the razor, I know it's supposed to be at 30 degrees, but just finding it difficult. I know when its cutting as I can hear it, but I just can seem to get a decent glide for some reason. Alot of the time I'm going over and its not cutting, hence I need to adjust the angle and then continue. Slightly disappointed with the first shave, but saying that it is the first shave and may get better as I have a few more practices perhaps? Any advice?

For additional info, I'm using a Edwin Jagger DE Razor DE89, using Edwin Jagger shaving soap with badger brush and using plenty of hot water to warm up face and razor. Any advice is much appreciated.

On a seperate note, I have also purchased Professor Blighty's Universal Shaving Balsam, can anyone recommend me some skin food perhaps or is this not required after purchasing the shaving balsam?

Regards

First of all lower your expectations, it's going to take a while for everything to come together and your skin and beard to get used to the new regime.

6 or 7 passes is way too much, have you assembled the razor correctly as it's easy to place the base plate upside down on the EJ.

Hello S
Don't get stressed over this, it will take some time, but the journey is worth it.
Antdad is correct, too many passes on a face that will soon become accustomed to the process.
Check out this site

http://sharpologist.com

and his vids on Youtube under Mantic59. Good no-nonsense advice. He is a member here and is seen as something of a shave guru, and in my humble, rightly so.

Regards

When you watch Mantic's videos, you'll notice he starts you out with the head of the razor flat against his face and the handle parallel to the floor. You tilt the handle down until the blade makes whisker contact and then you start your shave. The EJ89 is a nice mild shaver and should give you good service. I've been doing the wet shaving thing for 5 months now and started out with too heavy a razor and used too much pressure and too many passes and got terrible irritation, razor burn, nicks, weepers. The whole kit and kaboodle. Now I'm doing better.

Only shave where you have lather. Don't go back over a spot without more lather. Do one or two passes to start out. Maybe they should all be North South for you at first. Rinse with lots of cold water. The main thing is to use no pressure when holding the handle and when moving the razor in your strokes.

lindyhop66 said:
Only shave where you have lather. Don't go back over a spot without more lather. Do one or two passes to start out. Maybe they should all be North South for you at first. Rinse with lots of cold water. The main thing is to use no pressure when holding the handle and when moving the razor in your strokes.

+1 on all this!

It takes about a week or two of shaves to get the hang of the technique, just enjoy the learning experience for now. Don't expect smooth, just aim for comfortable and presentable, you won't be getting a really smooth face just yet. Or at least not a smooth, pain free face!

2 or 3 passes is plenty by the way. And yes check that base plate / comb fitting, it's easy to get it the wrong way up on a Jagger.

6 or 7 passes is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy too many . Definitely a prob somewhere. Once you've sorted that out (& the suggestion re a reversed base plate is very possibly it) things should start to fall into place much more easily.
If you've got Martin's "Prof b Balsam" that should really be all the skin food or calmer you'll need. Some of the guys apply it at night also, just don't say that in front of Vinny (not Joe)!

JohnnyO. \:blush:

Thanks for all your help everyone, really appreciate it. I made sure the top part of the razor was on correctly, however I think it's the angle I was holding it and also I was using the wrist to shave as apposed to shoulder movement. I'll let my skin heal from the soreness first and will try again in a few days time.

Appreciate the help again, could anyone recommend a nice natural popular aftershave / cologne?

regards

Professor Blighty on here does what is commonly held to be the best aftershave products. His aftershave balsam is legendary, but he also does a fair number of aftershaves too.
He has an ebay page, but you can order direct via PM here too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=professor+blighty

Welcome! You should be able to get presentable in 2 or 3 passes if you indeed have the razor assembled properly (it's not the top part, it's the base plate that sits on the other side of the blade, i.e. between blade and handle).

Mr S said:
Appreciate the help again, could anyone recommend a nice natural popular aftershave / cologne?

...start with some witch hazel either from the high street or online.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Strictly-Professional-Witch-Hazel-150ml-/300534094012?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Skincare_PP&hash=item45f93a58bc#ht_728wt_1302

After cartridge shaving I found my wrist naturally wanted to do the same with a DE - as has been said it's a different learning curve with this technique. Keep at it, it is worth it. It's worth trying different blades once you get a bit of competence with your angle and prep - happy to send you a selection as was kindly done for me, PM if you'd like some.

hi

I'm using derby blades at the moment and have had only 1 shave with one of the blades.

however I have also purchased some Astra blades and will try those once I am confident with using the derby blades.

Regards

It's the bottom piece that people can put on the incorrect way.
Correct way
photo%201.JPG

incorrect way
photo%202.JPG

However, the incorrect way, would be very difficult to shave any beard.

I can only echo the above.

Remember, less is more with this malarkey! Aim to never do more than 3 passes. If you have done 3, and there is a lot of stubble left then something is really wrong.

You should notice a lot of stubble in the bowl after the first WTG pass. If you don't I'd check the points already raised here.

Back
Top Bottom