New Shaver

I have just started shaving after 35 years of having a beard.I bought a merkur 34c double edge razor from Connaught shaving.shaved for the first time today using the free merkur blade and have ended up with numerous cuts and nicks especially on the throat area and also ended up with numerous bumps.Have I bought the wrong razor for a beginner and if so could you suggest an alternative.

Was your problem shave the one where you shaved off your beard for the first time or had you been wet-shaving for a bit before that? If the former then I'm not surprised there was some irritation. Give your face a while to recover then try again. Fido is right about the Merkur blade. Few people get on with them so worth trying something else. You could always grab a pack from Tesco because their own blades are decent.

Pig Cat said:
Was your problem shave the one where you shaved off your beard for the first time or had you been wet-shaving for a bit before that? If the former then I'm not surprised there was some irritation. Give your face a while to recover then try again. Fido is right about the Merkur blade. Few people get on with them so worth trying something else. You could always grab a pack from Tesco because their own blades are decent.

+1.

35 years of non-shaving will seem like a shock to the face - don't worry too much.

ADVICE TO ALL 'NEW' SHAVERS. WATCH THE MANTIC (HOW TO WET SHAVE) VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE. INVALUABLE STUFF! Everyone will tell you this Norman but they are an absolute must...trust me.

The 34c is perfect but Fido is right about the blades...I believe that ASDA or Morrison's own brands are the very same Personnas you may wish to try.

Good luck.
;)

Yep, you've done the right thing Norman by getting some sample blades. The Merkur blades were the first I used when I started DE shaving and, whilst not too bad, it wasn't the best experience at first. I did the same thing as you, got hold of some samples of different blades, and went from there. I've now found my favourite blade, the Feathers, but different blades suit different people so the Feathers might not be best for you (so, so sharp). Hope they're part of your sample pack though as they're definitely worth a go.

Also are you doing a 2-3 pass or just straight down,i wouldnt bother about getting baby bum close at first as thats where i had problems at first...still cant get bbs on neck without a lot of irritation so just dont bother now..

In addition to the fine advice already offered (Mantic's videos) and taken (blade sampler), I have 1 word for you - PRESSURE. :oops:

It is very easy to use too much. The 34C is a fine razor and was the default first razor of choice when I and many others re-discovered shaving.

You are literally holding the razor against your face with just your thumb and forefinger on the handle, adjusting the angle and then pulling it down your face letting the weight of the razor do all the work - none of this trying to shave your teeth through your cheek malarkey! :(

Right, I'll let someone else come in now and talk about: Prep, lather, brushes, post shave routines and scents. :shock:

Remember - this is fun! :D

All good advice. The 34C was my first DE razor after 20 years of sensors, it's perfectly fine and is still a favourite, so no problem there.

I think the main thing is you've had a beard for a long time so you're now learning a new skill. Take your time, and don't try to rush it... takes a week or two to even get the basics of DE shaving. And Blyth is right, shaving is a shock to your face... allow it to recover a little between shaves for now.

And welcome!

Welcome! You've joined a very friendly and helpful forum - just watch out for people encouraging you to buy loads of products - shaving aquisition disorder can set in very easily. :lol:

If no-one else minds me doing so, I'll take Mick's suggestion and cover prep.

I'd say unless your facial hair is extremely soft, you need to prep the face. The three essential aspects of prep, in my humble opinion are:

1. Cleaning the area to be shaved
2. Heat
3. Moisture.

Probably the best way to prep for a DE shave is to shower first. This covers all three of the above criteria. In my case, I'm disabled and cannot really shower easily, so I have to prep in other ways. This may well be useful for you as well; let's face it, we can't always shave after a shower.

To cover each point in turn:

1. Wash the beard area, paying particular attention to the neck. What you use to do this is up to you, my only advice is not to use the bar of soap you use in the bath. Normal soap tends to strip natural oils from the skin, and a tiny amount of these oils will help lubricate the hairs for the shave. Some people use posh face wash, some use exfoliants. I prefer glycerine soap as it's cheaper and does the job - removing debris and lubricating the hairs.

2 and 3. If you're not showering before your shave, the best route to go is to run hot (not scalding, but hot) water in your basin and soak a good quality flannel or small towel in it. Wring out most of the water and hold the flannel/towel across your face and neck (fold it in half and pretend it's a bandit-style mask). Hold it there for 3 minutes, rewetting if it cools too much.

Now, many people will, at this point, apply 2-3 drops of shave oil. I've never used it, but some seem to like it, whilst others don't care for it. If you go to the Reviews - Pre-shave section of the site, you'll find opinions on some oils.

Finally, good lathering protocol is also an essential aspect of prepping the face. Whether you lather soap or cream directly onto your face, or mix it in a bowl of some sort before applying, make sure you work it into the stubble for at least a minute, as this helps raise the hairs and clears any remaining debris from the area.

I'll leave other members to cover the rest of the process, good luck! :D

I'll chip in as well:

You mention shaving with a mach3 for a week before beginning with the Merkur. Just be careful of the pressure. The mach3 will allow you to put quite a large amount of pressure on the razor, without very ill effects. If you try to apply the same forces with a 34c that is possible with a mach3, then your face will end up looking like a raw hamburger.

Pressure and angle! And all the rest ;)

Happy shaving :shave

/Max

On a more curious note: How come you decided to start shaving your face after 35 years?

Echo all of the above.
I would suggest that you stick to the mild supermarket blades until you have learned to shave without nicks or irritations, and then crack open the blade sample pack - the idea being to cut out as many variables as possible while you are learning.
The 34c is an excellent choice, but don't put out any real money until you have perfected your technique - just stick to whatever is available locally - the idea is consistency of kit whilst you are learning.
You might also consider getting a Vulfix 404 Badger/Bristle brush or looking at Fido's excellent range of brushes.
And welcome aboard!

The only thing which comes to mind which doesn't seem to have been mentioned much is thorough rinsing, ideally finishing off with very cold water. That's once you've finished, not between passes mind. Sounds like you'd do well to stick to one pass anyway for a bit whilst your face gets accustomed to the new regime.

I had a beard for 20 years before I decided to wet shave it off. I started with a mild, 2-blade Wilkinson Sword affair and hard soap and a brush. For a couple of weeks my face felt rather "peeled" - it does take the skin a while to get used to being shaved after many years of sheltering behind a beard.

It's very good advice to take it gently at first, and as far as possible, try to only shave with the grain for the moment. If you try to shave against the way the hairs are growing, you'll get all manner of irritation. Treat it as a gradual learning exercise, and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom