New razor

T

Tom9748

Hi,just come across this forum after looking around on the web and decided to bin my current cartridge blades and try something new.Up to this point Ive looked at Feather Hi Stainless blades,anybody used these? As for a razor does anyone have any ideas?
Regards. Tom

My combo.....

Merkur 34C HD with a Gillette Super Thin blade.

Edwin Jagger DE89 with a Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow blade.

Both work for me and I'm sticking to it :D

Also got a Gillette Fatboy but i just cannot find the right balance which gives a super smooth shave but will try again when i get bored with my current razors.

Hi tom try a merkur 34c a good starter razor but if i was you i would leave the feathers for a month or two give tescos/boots own a go ;)

I'm also a merkur 34C HD fan. You can't go wrong with one of those.
Alternatively I believe the Edwin Jaggers are going for £15 or so on Amazon, get over there and see if the offers are still on. You won't get a better finished razor at that price.

Blades? Forget feathers for now, not everyone gets on with them. I find them extremely sharp of course, but they leave me with a rash. You'll have to find your own best blade (and that's all part of the fun) but do try Gillette 7 o'clock yellow, and also the green (super stainless) which are made in the same factory. Nowt wrong with the supermarket "no name" blades either, they're generally made in Israel by Personna and are pretty good.

Welcome to the forum Tom :)

Enjoy your stay!

I also have a 34C HD and it is an excellent razor. I would lay off the Feathers for the time being though until your technique is up to speed as they have a reputation for a reason ;)

As a newbie myself I'd second the recommendation for the Edwin Jagger-older models are available on amazon for under £20, or the latest ones from the english shaving company (not sure about anywhere else) for slightly more. Shipping will depend on where you are located. As for blades, many places do sample packs so I would suggest googling for that.
Before you do anything, search online for videos by the shaving guru, Mantic59 - watch his stuff and you will be well prepared for your foray into this wonderful world of DE shaving.

Welcome to the forum!

Ainslie

Hi Tom and welcome to the TSR. :)
As suggested, 34C and EJ DE series are both excellent razors.
Take it easy with Feathers as a first blade though :shave
regards, beejay

beejay said:
Hi Tom and welcome to the TSR. :)
As suggested, 34C and EJ DE series are both excellent razors.
Take it easy with Feathers as a first blade though :shave
regards, beejay

Great advice, remember be gentle, these tool are not the press and drags your used to and never shave were there is no soap.

Hi & very welcome Tom. Any of the R89 razors sold by Muehle, Edward Jagger etc would imo be a very nice start indeed. As far as blades go, if finances run to it a sample pack from Connaught Shaving would be a fair investment. Failing that drop me a pm with an address & I'll sort you out with a assortment to start you off. You might wish to check out the list elsewhere in the forum of suppliers (many of whom are also members here) who have been recommended for service and value for money by members. I'm sure that any of them will be happy to offer advice & many also give discounts to TSR members.

Enjoy getting your kit together.

JohnnyO. \ :geek:

Hello and welcome to the forum, Tom. :D

Feathers? Yes, you should certainly try them at some point, but not yet awhile. As for a razor, whilst the above recommendations are no doubt excellent, I always suggest an old Superspeed or Rocket, generally available at a knock down price from someone on the Buy Sell Trade board if you wait a few days; alternatively have a word with FrenchBlade or merwtje.

Welcome to the forum!

For a starter I'd say go Edwin Jagger. The shave is almost the same as the Merkur but the finish of the razor is so much better.

The EJ 89 is a very nice razor and hard to go wrong with.

If you think you might like a larger and heavier razor, you may also want to consider the Merkur 38C. I like the design and balance a bit better than the 34C.

Gents
Many thanks for taking the time to reply with your advice.Ive taken the plunge and ordered a Edwin Jagger DE 89 with a set of Derby blades costing a little under £17 plus a mixture pack of blades containing
Wilkinson
Treet
Astra
Derby
7 oclock
Shark
x5 in each pack for £9.50,so £26.50 in total which considering I saw 8 Gillette Pro Glide Power cartridge blades for £20 :eek: today I don't think its to bad.
I await the arrival of my order with trepidation!!!
Regards. Tom

Back
Top Bottom