New Razor suggestions please

I'd have thought the 34c as a budget more aggressive design may be spot-on. Actually, I'm going to get myself an EJ DE89L soon, and, if I like it as much as I think I will (and if it works well with my NOS Bleue Extras), I'll probably sell my 34c - if I do you can have 1st option on it.

cruciate said:
Well, I kinda decided to go with a progress, but they are out of stock everywhere I initially looked. So I looked at the futur instead and same story.
The Merkur slants were out of stock too and I could only find the weber via the US amazon store.....and they are out of stock.

So I guess I have a little longer to make a decision while we wait for the world razor shortage to end.

Conaughts e mailed me yesterday to say 39c back in stock

No problem, I can't promise when or indeed if, it'll come available - if it's the only razor that I find gets on with my Bleues then I'll keep it, but if I do decide to sell it, you'll have first refusal.

OK, update - I'm going to have to withdraw the offer of the Merkur. I tried the EJ with a Bleue Extra and it didn't suit my face at all, so I'm going to keep the Merkur. As it was, I switched the Bleue for an Astra SP, which was much better.

The English Shaving Company now stock the Merkur Barberpole slant, and 25C open comb razors.

I sometimes use the 25C open comb razor, but I have fairly average stubble. If I use it with a Feather blade, the shave is close without any feeling of soreness. That is shaving one pass only WTG on the neck area, but WTG and XTG elsewhere.

Ah ha!! The futur!

For some reason I'm struggling to understand, I grabbed the worst blade I used in the EJ to try in the futur.

I think I was thinking that if this blade felt ok, the futur must be epic! Or maybe I felt that the aggressiveness needed a blunt horrible blade.
Either way, I grabbed a boots branded persona and set about shaving.

I've had 2 shaves with this blade now. The 1st was truly amazing. I started on "2" and it was so easy I tried a "3". Still comfortable. But went back to 2 for the rest of the shave.
The sound is lovely! Seems to amplify the cutting sound and really gives good feedback. I love it.
2nd shave I think I got my lather wrong (bluebeards) because the shave was smooth, but the futur kept almost sticking to the skin. Not snagging as I understand it, more like running your finger over a wet surface and hitting a drier patch. Hard to explain. But this has only happened once.

Unsurprisingly, given its size, it's hard to get close right under the nose, but actually not much worse than the Jagger.

All in all, I love the weight, I love the noise, I can't wait to try other favourite blades. Shave quality wise, I get a better 2 pass shave than the EJ, but against the grain I am so far preferring the EJ. But that's with a blade I normally don't like. Against the grain with that blade in the EJ was pretty crap too!

I have now a complaint many of you know - once I've tried my blade combos and finished experimenting, how on earth do you choose which razor to go for each time?

Lastly, any thoughts in which blade to try next?
Currently open are Gillette Bleue (NOS) and Yellows, Astra Green, Feather and Shark. But in my drawer are plenty of others - wilk swords, Dorco, persona platinum (reds? Even though they are blue?) supermax platinum, Timor, iridium super and Bolzano (thanks johnnyO for these last 3!)

Bechet45 said:
As you don't have 7 O'clock green (!!!!!!) try your Bolzano, which is similar.

+1. The Bolzanos are my personal "go to" for any comparison purposes. To me they're a nice middle of the road type of blade which seem to wed well to either aggressive or mild razors.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

cruciate said:
Ah ha!! The futur!

For some reason I'm struggling to understand, I grabbed the worst blade I used in the EJ to try in the futur.

I grabbed a boots branded persona and set about shaving.

I've had 2 shaves with this blade now. The 1st was truly amazing.
2nd shave I think I got my lather wrong (bluebeards) because the shave was smooth, but the futur kept almost sticking to the skin. Not snagging as I understand it, more like running your finger over a wet surface and hitting a drier patch. Hard to explain. But this has only happened once.

All in all, I love the weight, I love the noise, I can't wait to try other favourite blades. Shave quality wise, I get a better 2 pass shave than the EJ, but against the grain I am so far preferring the EJ. But that's with a blade I normally don't like. Against the grain with that blade in the EJ was pretty crap too!

Lastly, any thoughts in which blade to try next?

Hi there,

Wow, talk about an interesting way to approach sampling various razors/blades. I don't recall too many people who use a crap blade for a new to them razor test run. Heh, that's something I woulda never thought of.

Far as the next blade to try, use the one that worked best in the EJ. Try that for maybe 4-5 days and see what's up. You wanna have a chance to tweak what you need to using the Future. I could see something like that razor would easily take me 3-4 times to figure out.

From there, try the Iridium. Give those a shot and then try the Gillette Sharpedge. If you like one you'll like the other.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom