New razor buying.

Hello

My wife has asked me what I want for Christmas... and I thought I'd ask for a razor.

I've been looking at UK based stores to find something that would suit me.

I'm a beginner, 3 months or less shaving experience with a cheap Chinese straight that I feel is o.k but not brilliant. I am able to keep this blade sharp. So I think I'm ready to upgrade to something with better edge retention.

I'm not looking for a top of the line super fancy all singing all dancing razor.

I want something that works, Is new, and will give me a good few years of use until I'm able to asses a vintage blade and buy at either auction or car boots.

Scales are largely unimportant to me. But I would like a round point, and a lighter blade. The cheap Chinese one I have atm is a full hollow in some mid grade carbon steel. I can tell it's not good grade steel as I've had a lot of experience sharpening carbon steel. From Opinel knives through to my kitchen knives that are japanese misono sweedish carbon steel.

Looking at whats available I've seen Dovo and Thiers Issard particularly this blade caught my eye at the price.

The 5/8 round point.
Basic Black' 5/8 round point
Blade steel type carbon
Full hollow grind
Blade depth (inches) 5/8
Basic Black plastic scales
Blade finish satin
Attractive satin finish to blade
Scale material plastic
‘Carbonsong' C135 steel blade
Scale colour/finish natural
Grind type full

Can anyone recommend something better within £25 of the price of that one, And is that company respected or one to be avoided? It's base price is £95

wp98eeacca_05_06.jpg

wpeebe671f_05_06.jpg

wpc7bf5d30_05_06.jpg

wpc79a21a9_05_06.jpg

wpa9fb4894_05_06.jpg

Iceni said:
I'm not looking for a top of the line super fancy all singing all dancing razor.

I find this a strange statement in that a straight razor's function is to shave, therefore the all imprtant quality that it must have, is a good edge. The point I'm getting at here is that a razor can't be 'all singing all dancing' - it either shaves well or doesn't, regardless of the price.

Thiers Issard are a respected maker and the company you would be buying through is also well known and respected - they are members of this forum. It will come to you shave ready.

Now that I look at it all singing all dancing is a bit off an odd statement :D

Perhaps I should have said it doesn't need to be flashy, And by that I would mean It's fine to have plain scales in plastic, and a less than perfect finish. Provided it has a good edge, and works well.

I'm always a little cautious of finishes that get applied to steel. So something like this, while it might be a very good razor, Is not something for me.

wpe445ed0d_05_06.jpg

Now that I've dug deeper into the TI site and had a proper look at the full range I can see my options as been.

5/8 basic black £94.50 full
wp98eeacca_05_06.jpg

6/8 Le Dandy £110.57 full
wpb9beb4ca_05_06.jpg

5/8 Specail Coiffeur £104.85 1/2 ground
wpd60df986_05_06.jpg

5/8 Sparticus £113.56 full
wpfcd797ba_05_06.jpg

I think of the 4 I'm drawn to the Le Dandy the most. Whats the shave difference in a 5/8 and 6/8 blade?

When I was looking to buy a new razor someone on here suggested Revisor razor. At that point I had never heard of them, but a look on their site and I fell in love. Its the best of my razors (including my vintage ones). They also come shave ready. Not the easiest site to navigate but excellent customer service ang quick to respond to emails.

I would certainly take Parwin's advice and take a look at Revisor - I don't have one myself but they get good reviews.

Regarding 5/8 or 6/8" I don't think you will notice a great difference initially. For a first razor I'd stay with one of those rather than go down to 4/8 or up to 7/8". My personal experience is that I started with 5/8 but then started to acquire mainly 6/8 with just a couple bigger. I still enjoy the smaller blade for a change.

Parwin I went on the website for Revisor.

I think you've opened a whole pandoras box of options there! Not only do they have Revisor razors they have a huge selection of other makes some old some new!

That site is going to take some digesting!

Iceni said:
Parwin I went on the website for Revisor.

I think you've opened a whole pandoras box of options there! Not only do they have Revisor razors they have a huge selection of other makes some old some new!

That site is going to take some digesting!

I know what you mean.
There is a great range with resonable range of prices.
I am very happy with the razor I went for.
Good luck and don't forget picture of what you eventually get. :icon_razz:

I can't explain why but this razor keeps drawing me back.

Anyone know anything about the company, I'm looking into them now.

It's also a wedge, Is that going to be problematic?

db_0129-03091.jpg

I can't comment on the quality of the razor, but Henckels are a very well established German manufacturer of kinives, other cutlery and razors. I have a couple of their knives and they are excellent quality, right up there, so I wouldn't question the organisation behind the production. Others, I'm sure, can comment on the razors they produce.

Jon

If you can keep that Chinese straight up to shave ready condition you're a better man than me. There's a list in this section by Neil Miller on what straight razor manufacturers to avoid, do that and you won't go far wrong.

I recently bought this one...

wpe9a2d1e6_05_06.jpg

(obviously from the same source!)

My requirement was the same - I just wanted a good edge made of good steel, and I'm not interested in fancy engraving or fancy scales.

And it's excellent - it came nicely shave-ready.

As it's a heavier grind it might not be quite what you want, but having experienced it I'd think the 5/8 basic black or the Le Dandy would be just the job.

Alan

If you can keep that Chinese straight up to shave ready condition you're a better man than me

I might actually have a hone advantage. The hone I use came from my great grandad. And he was given used by his dad. That puts the stone in the region of 150 years old by my reckoning. It might even be older.

It's a very dark almost glassy feeling stone, With some natural markings, and a couple of small pebble like spots in it.

I resurfaced it a few years ago and it took 30 sheets of wet and dry 400 grit paper to get it back to level. The stone is stupidly hard.

Having said that it is remarkable at removing metal for an edge. It's not fast, And it's certainly not a super fine grit (probably 2-5K at most). But it always gets a fantastic edge. I wish I could get another, But it's set in a homemade wood box, and has no markings.

I'll get a picture up later.

10158389506_82e0af1bd8_o.jpg

10158291705_619e012cba_o.jpg

10158208674_6035ea068e_o.jpg

10158385656_c7a41af1bb_o.jpg

10158289305_2f24862de6_o.jpg

This is a Dry grind, Wet is a lot slower and smoother.

10158383586_0c50d2db6e_o.jpg

10158205074_debccc36b0_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom