New Muhle Silvertip Fibre Synthetic

Paul has it 'Out of stock' for at least a few weeks now, Shaving.ie has it but not in 23mm knot, I guess at the moment it can only be bought directly from Muehle.

A really interesting brush. Muhle is a huge company that must invest a lot in research. It's a high price for a synthetic brush which may reflect extra quality. I'll put one on my pending purchases list and probably buy direct from Muhle.

Looks like it is available in 21mm http://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/classic/shaving_brushes/1/shaving_brush__siver_tip_fibres__high_grade_resin_horn_brown/23/23/31_K_252

I have handled a few Muhle silvertip badger brushes but never bought any, they are top notch quality if that there is no doubt. However I felt they were too floppy even when dry, not any worse than my Merkur silvertip but definitely heading for the softer end of what I find nice to use.

No idea how this synthetic will feel but great to see new stuff come out.

I'll be interested to hear how some reviews when people get their hands on them. I've never been particularly attracted by synthetic brushes, although I can understand the reasons why they are available.

One thing I don't get though, is why it's made to look like badger hair? It is what it is, there's no need to dress it up like something else.

Audiolab said:
I have handled a few Muhle silvertip badger brushes but never bought any, they are top notch quality if that there is no doubt. However I felt they were too floppy even when dry, not any worse than my Merkur silvertip but definitely heading for the softer end of what I find nice to use.

No idea how this synthetic will feel but great to see new stuff come out.

The Muehle brushes are indeed floppy, and this synthetic is supposed to be very good (even though the synthetics are still in their infancy). The point to note is that they're here to stay...

I've ordered a 21mm brush direct. What a palaver! Their address spaces took some getting round to place the order. Price was 35 plus 7.50 euros for shipping. About £39 in total. The shipping cost seems high, but not too high to put me off having flogged my way through the order procedure.

I've just ordered the 23mm. Very easy process, couple of clicks (I already had an account with them).
Free delivery as well (total was 100.90 Eur as I got the silver-styled DE case and the new R41 OC razor).

Jose (du212) once wrote over at B&B, when he tried the synthetic Omegas, that they were the worst shave brushes he had ever tried. Don't think this will be the case here as Muehle must have put more R&D on this. However we should not forget that these synthetic hairs will continue to be developed in the years to come, and will certainly improve further; in addition I would assume this will carry on following an inversely proportional relationship to the availability of high quality badger hair...

I was actually quite pleased with the Edwin Jagger synthetic. It was not badger quality, but it was a synthetic and I had very low expectations. I think it made a good travel brush, decent feel and strong bristles.

I of course await Fido's review as well. Always interested in what technology spits out these days.

That said, from a green perspective, synthetic brushes are probably worse than badger brushes. Since badger is actually a pest in China and seem to grow on trees, or at least the land, there seems to be very little environmental, energy, and people impact from badger harvesting. Whereas synthetic brushes would eat up oil. But with plastic still being ridiculously cheap.... And I suppose PITA doesn't like us killing animals for reasons other than the environment.

Back
Top Bottom