New machine ordered today :)

Finally giving up on small single boiler machines. So it's off with the gaggia and in with the new:

http://www.nextdaycoffee.co.uk/store/fracino-cherub-coffee-machine-372

Fracino cherub. Heat exchanger with a 2 ish litre boiler. Massive steaming power and an e61 style thermosiphon group. Should have fantastic thermal stability and very little drift between shots. Also means I can steam and brew at the same time.

I'm selling an upgraded steam wand and portafilter for gaggia machines in my other thread, so if any gaggia owners out there are looking to impede your steaming ability, have a look.

Can't wait to get my hands on the new toy

Sweet, seems to have everything you need! :D As with most machines of this type you'll prob need to flush some water before making your first shot, the group head usually gets to hot when not used (small price to "pay" though, I think).

Well the thermosiphon here mixes cold water with hot, so unless the machine is sitting for hours and hours it should maintain fairly solid temperature. But I think generally I will flush 2oz or so through the head before pulling a shot.

Much much less hassle than trying to Temp surf a small boiler, or indeed even some dual boilers. It's what attracts me to the HX models, they seem absolutely ideal for the home environment, and as I'm mainly concerned with a machines ability no steam, a single large boiler makes more sense than two smaller ones.

Look forward to getting some seriously good shots out of this. My old machine has been driving me insane lately with all its little operational Foibles, and the mess it makes.

Hoorah for HX

I've always wanted a rocket Giotto. But they are a bit pricey. Seems this fracino is pretty much the same thing, even from a looks point of view. Love all the chrome and the vintage looks.

I think it's as with any hobby / interest. If you go on forums, you will find kit you didn't know anything about, didn't sprealise existed or didn't care about until you knew what it could do for you. A bit like me coming here and finding new forest brushes and EJ razors.

I had consigned myself to having to spend £1100+ sometime this year on a rocket. When I found the cherub it seemed like a great way forward for my needs.

Funny thing is I had three espresso machines before I got my Rancilio Silvia and the later was a product of the forums and it was the first proper coffee machine I had. Come to think about it, I started to wet shave traditionally by my own too and it wasn't until I got in contact with Neil Miller I was pointed in the "right" direction - in short: I blame Neil for this madness :D

I'm still loving my Gaggia Classic, getting used to it now. I even used the steam wand the other day when my daughter came round. It may not be the best steam wand but as I will only use it a few times a year it doesn't seem worth upgrading it. If I hang around too long I may well upgrade, but this will do me for now.

I had a gaggia carezza and its basically a classic without a pressure release valve. I could have upgraded to a classic but it seems a waste of 200 quid when what I want is something with good steam power.

The things that annoyed me about the carezza that made me want to upgrade (many of these apply to a classic too)

-temperature stability is hit and miss on the gaggia, you never know quite how close you are to ideal brew conditions.
- tiny tiny tiny little drip tray, was absolutely useless
- steam power like an asthmatic 5 year old blowing bubbles in milkshake with a straw
- no pressure valve in the carezza so couldn't remove portafilter right after a shot, until pressure has subsided. Means I couldn't make multiple drinks.
- no ability to steam and brew at the same time (coffee goes cold while steam warms up)
- no handy water Tap

Sadly a lot of these issues can be levelled at the rancilio silvia too, still one boiler, still no ability to steam and brew, and still huge temperature fluctuations between shots. Albeit with a much bigger boiler, better recovery, larger drip tray and more steam power. Adding a PID to the silvia to fix all of these, would end up costing the same, or more than the cherub, which doesn't need a PID

A silvia didn't seem like a big enough upgrade from my machine, so I thought I'd try and just go straight to the end point and save myself upgrade blues lol

I use a Fracino Contempo in my business - they are a decent enough brand. Heed Mikael and also good practice by firing off a blank shot before you pull an espresso. You need to be way up in a different price point to ensure temp stability and even then most Barista's will still fire off a blank first.

Great looking machine by the way - have fun with it.

Ta... I think I general it's good practice to pull a couple of oz of water through the group. So so so much less hassle than temp surfing a single boiler. The thermostat dead band is pretty wide on the cherub so it tends not to be too hot, but as you say, it's good practice and takes no time at all to do a quick flush.

Can't wait to get it. Already getting decent shots from the gaggia thanks to my new grinder, but this should be in the next league for shot extraction.

Temp surfing isn't that big a deal on single boilers is it? You just make your foam first, pull a blank through the basket to get everything up to temp and away you go.

Back
Top Bottom