New Hobby

Morning all

Just upgraded from a point and click to a Panasonic GF6K Compact System Camera. I've found a couple of specific sites with decent resources but some of it is over my head so can you direct me to some good beginners resources?

Many thanks

Neil

Photography is one of those areas where you seem to get some people with a certain mind set that says you have to use the right equipment and you must use it in the right way.
You will get people say you need to buy a DSLR and lenses.
Personally I think thats tosh.
I know 3 people who are professional photographers. They do have thousand of pounds worth of kit, but I also have seen what they shoot and its 90% art. The majority of what makes 'good' photos is having an eye for seeing what a photo may end up looking like. And that is incredibly hard to teach.
I also know a couple of people who 'are into photography' and are members of photography clubs. For some reason the clubs do try and push the 'right equipment' approach onto their members. I don't know if this is tru of all clubs, or just these two.
And the people in the clubs seem to be under the impression that you should take plenty of time setting up the shot. Where as my professional photographer friends are happy to snap away a few dozen shots. In these days of digital cameras there is no need not to take a dozen photos.

So, after all that, my advise is, just go out, take hundreds of photos of anything. Then get home and look through your pictures. See what works for you.
I think only after you have had a few weeks trying it out as a hobby do you need to start worring about exposure, depth of field, lens choice, lighting etc.

Been my personal savior in the past and something I'm very passionate about. I'm a member of friendly a photography forum full of like minded people from all walks of life and photographers of most genres and level. If your interested have a look here http://www.wdphoto.co.uk/forum/index.php

Yes you do get a few people who rant on that you need all the kit. Saying that I've a SLT, a few lenses, a good few Cokin filters and a carbon fibre tripod. To be honest though all I really use is a 18-200. It's very rare I use the tripod and the cokin where a recent purchase. It's no where near thousands but I get decent results from time to time.

I've never taken a course, I've barely read the manual. All I do is snap away, I try to frame the shot, but even that goes wrong at times. I've learnt more snapping away and changing settings. Best advice is to get out snap away and see what works.

I've a friend who's a pro and he's liked a few of my shots. I've had friends say I should enter some in competitions. One of my friends has one hanging at home and has been asked loads of times about it. But competitions are not some thing that bothers me, I take them for myself I took a load at my mates wedding and they loved them, they were all natural shots, nothing set up.

I'm rubbish at close up and still life, I need to invest in a decent flash for that. But what I enjoy is landscape. Here's a few

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59322050@N04/

Another one you'll get is Photoshop. I have photoshop but I only ever use it for cropping. Seems to me like it's cheating.

Northam Saint said:
Yes you do get a few people who rant on that you need all the kit. Saying that I've a SLT, a few lenses, a good few Cokin filters and a carbon fibre tripod. To be honest though all I really use is a 18-200. It's very rare I use the tripod and the cokin where a recent purchase. It's no where near thousands but I get decent results from time to time.

I've never taken a course, I've barely read the manual. All I do is snap away, I try to frame the shot, but even that goes wrong at times. I've learnt more snapping away and changing settings. Best advice is to get out snap away and see what works.

I've a friend who's a pro and he's liked a few of my shots. I've had friends say I should enter some in competitions. One of my friends has one hanging at home and has been asked loads of times about it. But competitions are not some thing that bothers me, I take them for myself I took a load at my mates wedding and they loved them, they were all natural shots, nothing set up.

I'm rubbish at close up and still life, I need to invest in a decent flash for that. But what I enjoy is landscape. Here's a few

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59322050@N04/

Another one you'll get is Photoshop. I have photoshop but I only ever use it for cropping. Seems to me like it's cheating.

and use of fake hdr tonemapping isn't?

Well yes and no, it is a HDR setting on the camera, not photoshopped HDR. Obviously it's nothing like some HDR work, and also unlike some it's untouched straight from the camera and there's a certain amount of input from my settings.

I know someone who uses photoshop on almost every shot to change contrast and brightness I don't do that, prefer to try and get the light right myself.

Thanks guys. Yep, just get out there and snap away. Thanks for the forum link, as with this forum I'm sure it will be invaluable in the early days.

Happy snapping :)

Northam Saint said:
Well yes and no, it is a HDR setting on the camera, not photoshopped HDR. Obviously it's nothing like some HDR work, and also unlike some it's untouched straight from the camera and there's a certain amount of input from my settings.

I know someone who uses photoshop on almost every shot to change contrast and brightness I don't do that, prefer to try and get the light right myself.

added you on flickr :)

davep90 said:
Northam Saint said:

added you on flickr :)

Added you too.

You have some fantastic shots there, the Church Cat one, wow ! The black and white version edges it for me.

I need to try harder !

This - http://kienhockblogspot.googlecode.com/files/Photo_The_Manual_of_Photography.pdf - an update of the one I personally learned from (the 1958 edition - "The Ilford Manual of Photography") and also some dipping into Ansel Adams "The Camera".

Both are hideously dated and talk about such things as chemicals and developers - but luckily the "rules" of composition and the laws of optics haven't changed appreciably.

Understanding the cameras relationship with light is the most fundamental thing you need to know -

1. Aperture - how much light the lens lets in on the film/sensor
2. Shutter speed - how long the film/sensor is exposed to the light
3. ISO - the rate at which the film/sensor gathers light

If you google these items you should be able to find articles that explain them simply. A good understanding goes a long way to improving your photography.

Back
Top Bottom