New Forest 2221 - first impressions

It's got lovely soft tips - minimal taint... just took it for a test lather or two with some Monsavon to see how it went and to tease out any loose hairs and taint that might be lurking.

OMFG! How much lather does this thing make? Just tried it in a palm lathering but wow! Just wow! For a first lathering it's unbelievable.

The other thing I notice is that the handle is a different material to the 2211 and the 2201... in fact all 3 are different. The printing on my 2221 seems a little more primitive than the other two.

Shave later :shave

Well I used it this evening.... Ding! Dong!

Damn Fido and his continuous roll out of brushes :lol: My shaving purchases are at an end for the year* and I mean it this time.

I used it in "unapproved" fashion - face lathering Monsavon soap - it did it beautifully, more so than the test lathering I gave it earlier. No residual taint, no further leeching of the hair treatment that often happens with a new brush and discolours the lather. I'd almost go as far as to say it was effortless.

The brush holds epic amounts of water - when I popped it in to soak this morning it growed & growed as the water adsorbed on to the hair and it began to bloom.

* I reserve the right to declare a new year at any time and optionally more frequently than every 12 months.

hunnymonster wroteThe brush holds epic amounts of water - when I popped it in to soak this morning it growed & growed as the water adsorbed on to the hair and it began to bloom.
I thought it was going to spill out of my mug i use.
Really enjoyed using this brush will be a hard choice now will i use the 2211 or 2221.
Wish i had joined this forum earlier so i could have had the chance to buy Peters earlier brushes.

Used my T and H Almond Cream with the 2221 this morning and honestly the lather it created would have kept me shaving all morning.
Another fine brush Peter and thanks again

Used mine tonight, straight out of the packet the knot looked smaller than I remember the 2201 and 2211 being. Very soft though, and as per the instructions I washed it in warm water, and noticed a little bit of funk which I don't recall the other NF brushes having, nothing like my 1305 though!

Two test lathers with some Palmolive stick in a bowl soon saw the lather spilling out a treat, and I squeezed more out of the knot than I'd have thought possible! Mixed up some TOBS almond cream in a bowl and had a great shave, lots of creamy lather and a very soft brush. By the end of the first shave the brush had bloomed well. I look forward to trying it with some of my more favoured shaving soaps.

I have seen the pictures of the 2221 "Bloomed" on the New Forest site and was wondering if anyone would mind posting any pictures of their 2221 "Bloomed" as well?

Thanks,

Jesse

No idea if this will work, but here we go, excuse the cruddy photo, snagged this shot last night before bed after reading your post.

That's after a 15 min soak, a dry and a test lather with some yankee Williams hard soap.

2a4sl1j.jpg

For the record, I used mine for a shave, (shower, TOBS Swood, 2221, Fatboy / shark SS, Thayers), got a cracking three pass load of lather from a bowel walloping session of maybe 2 mins.

Quite happy with the thing. Especially for the money I spent and its nice to keep things in the TSR family.

At least it is the softest hair if you are going that way, would be a lot worse if we were talking a stiff boar :lol:

Back to the 2221. I have used mine the whole week with both creams and soaps and I can face lather with it, I used Dr Harris Marlborough and I found it took a little longer to pick the soap up but a little longer soak of hot some water on top of the soap; or an extra few seconds swirling is no hassle when the bristles feel this good on your face.

Predominately I have been using a scuttle the last while because it is horrible and cold outside and this makes warm (well at least not stone cold) lather luxurious and attractive in the morning. In the Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle this is a little workhorse of a brush, I have been gradually dialing back how much I was using (T&H 1805 cream mostly this week) and even a meager amount of cream allows this brush to fire up its engine.

Going to get the two other NF brushes out and switch between them for a while and see how they differ to each other.

My brush arrived today :eek:) and I´ve allready test lathered three times with it :oops:, first time was a little funky, but the others worked like a charm. I painted some on while testing, but there was really nothing to shave :lol:

Bristels seems very soft and really eager to suck up water and soap. Like all of Peters brushes it seems to be a true lather master/monster, I´m amazed on how well they behave compared to other, much more expensive, brushes. Tomorrow I´ll use it "live", shave on! :D :shave

I was a little hesitant about getting a 2221, purely because Peter stated it was ideally suited to bowl lathering creams, neither of which I do. Nevertheless safe in the knowledge it would always be worth what I paid for it I went ahead and ordered a 45mm as I'm a face latherer.

I used Mama Bears Dubline Tweed tonight having used cream for the last couple of shaves, and I was mightily impressed. Certainly no issue for anyone wanting to face lather a hard soap.

Back
Top Bottom