New car

Sezer74 said:
Nice car NS, happy motoring.
Getting used to hand brakes can be challenging, in my lorry the park brake is small and obviously air assisted, sometimes my hand goes searching for the park brake instead of the handbrake in my car.

I am so glad it's not just me doing this :icon_razz:

Great car and I do like the A3. We bought an Audi Q5 turbo last year and we love it. It replaced our 14 year old Lexus RX300, which we really liked, but after driving the Audi I wouldn't go back to the Lexus equivalent. The fit and finish of the two brands is on a par, but the handling characteristics of the Audi leave the Lexus in the dust; there's something very compelling about the taught German handling. We hope the Audi will prove to be as reliable as the Lexus. We're now looking to replace our 12 year old Lexus IS300, but don't want to go the luxury route. I've been eyeing the Subaru Impreza, but SWMBO seems to prefer the VW Golf, which I like too, but prefer the Subaru for its all-wheel drive. Fortunately both are available with a manual transmission, so I'll be happy either way.

We are getting there, ruddy pain the bum though. Ours isn't as automatic as we thought. Basically you have to think about it as a normal handle and pull the switch up when parking. But on driving away you just leave it to switch it's self off. Expect when on a hill where you push the foot brake then the accelerator and off you go.

We went out for a longer drive today across Exmoor and it was brilliant. Most comfortable car on the road we have ever had. Cruised down the North Devon road, accelerates in fear nicely. It even has SWMBO doing a 4th to 6th gear change. It tells you what gear is best and she listens !!!

Rufus said:
Great car and I do like the A3. We bought an Audi Q5 turbo last year and we love it. It replaced our 14 year old Lexus RX300, which we really liked, but after driving the Audi I wouldn't go back to the Lexus equivalent. The fit and finish of the two brands is on a par, but the handling characteristics of the Audi leave the Lexus in the dust; there's something very compelling about the taught German handling. We hope the Audi will prove to be as reliable as the Lexus. We're now looking to replace our 12 year old Lexus IS300, but don't want to go the luxury route. I've been eyeing the Subaru Impreza, but SWMBO seems to prefer the VW Golf, which I like too, but prefer the Subaru for its all-wheel drive. Fortunately both are available with a manual transmission, so I'll be happy either way.

Nice car the Q7.

Dipesh said:
It's a button in the dash/near the gear lever.

Motors are on the calliper rather than cables.

Northam Saint said:
We are getting there, ruddy pain the bum though. Ours isn't as automatic as we thought. Basically you have to think about it as a normal handle and pull the switch up when parking. But on driving away you just leave it to switch it's self off. Expect when on a hill where you push the foot brake then the accelerator and off you go.

That sounds really useful, I had no idea.

Rufus said:

I bought an IS300 sportcross auto, with the gear change buttons on the steering wheel last year.

Love it- a real wolf in sheeps clothing!

frankw said:
Rufus said:
We hope the Audi will prove to be as reliable as the Lexus.

desperately sorry, but not a hope in hell… :)

I fear you might be right. We would have preferred to replace the Lexus RX with the latest model, but we didn't like the exterior styling or the interior finish at all, hence the Audi Q5. Why is it that Toyota/Lexus consistently turn out vehicles that are reliable over the long term whereas the Germans and Americans can't? We've owned 5 Toyotas and Lexus and each has gone for at least 10 years without any major issues; all they've required is routine maintenance and the periodic replacement of brakes, spark plugs, belts and hoses in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations. Also, the quality of customer service at Lexus, both in Canada and America, has been far superior to that of any other brands I've experienced. Perhaps I should consider replacing my Lexus IS300 with a Toyota Corolla, instead of a Golf; I don't want to shell out big bucks on another Lexus given what we paid for the Audi, our principal car.

frankw said:
Rufus said:
We hope the Audi will prove to be as reliable as the Lexus.

desperately sorry, but not a hope in hell… :)

yeah - but at least your car will have some personality.

Rufus said:
I fear you might be right. We would have preferred to replace the Lexus RX with the latest model, but we didn't like the exterior styling or the interior finish at all, hence the Audi Q5. Why is it that Toyota/Lexus consistently turn out vehicles that are reliable over the long term whereas the Germans and Americans can't?

True, but Toyota change very little with each 'new' vehicle hence the reliability. However, when customers Toyota change brands they are shocked at how much better the other brand is to drive.

Even the other Japanese car manufacturers consider Toyota a white goods producer. Mind you, I'm sure there's some jealousy in there too.

I had an IS220for four years and 165k miles. Never missed a beat... Apart from the two new engines!
Lovely car and Lexus did the engine replacements without the slightest hesitation, the last one at 3 years and 120k
I think they know they had a problem with the early IS diesels

I had an IS 200 for ten years and it never let me down, I have now upgraded to an IS 250 Auto and am absolutely delighted with it so far.

Well almost a week in and I must say it's probably the best car we have ever had. The ride is so different than anything else we have had, smoother and so much quieter. The electronic handbrake is even growing on me. Currently running at just over 40 to the gallon on urban roads too which is pretty good.

frankw said:
p.b said:
Even the other Japanese car manufacturers consider Toyota a white goods producer. Mind you, I'm sure there's some jealousy in there too.

Aw shucks... 10 million people a year world wide, must just like white goods bubba... kinda homey?
Frank :)

ps
my land cruiser has saved my life on more than one occasion over the years... not bad for an 'ol twin tub :)

Yes, it's been a very, very successful formula - just not one that appeals to petrol-heads.

P.S. using 2.5 tonnes of metal to save one's life isn't a limited to Toyotas.

p.b said:
frankw said:
p.b said:

Aw shucks... 10 million people a year world wide, must just like white goods bubba... kinda homey?
Frank :)

ps
my land cruiser has saved my life on more than one occasion over the years... not bad for an 'ol twin tub :)

Yes, it's been a very, very successful formula - just not one that appeals to petrol-heads.

Yup, when it comes to day-to-day transportation a boring, appliance-like, reliable motor trumps flash in my book. To satisfy my inner petrol-head (or gear-head as the Americans call them), however, I have a BMW Z4, which I use only after winter has gone and store for those 6 months when it is snowy, slushy and the roads are covered in salt and brine.

I apologise to OP for thoroughly hijacking his thread. I'm glad to hear that he's enjoying his A3; they are magical to drive.

Back
Top Bottom