New brush help

been wet shaving for 6 months now and Was thinking of getting a new brush currently use the Progress Vulfix 404 Grosvenor Mixed Badger and came across the Edwin jagger large super badger brush for £40 anyone know what brush this is as it says discontinued model or offer any advice[attachment=12345]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416295233.901584.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416295233.901584.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 35
I also use a Vulfix 404 and looking for a new Badger was thinking of the Simpson chubby 2. Sorry can't give you any advice on Edwin Jagger but I am interested in the advice of the other sages too.

I've had a large Edwin Jagger Silver tip and it was incredibly soft but I found it lacked back-bone. I expect this knot to be the same. For £40-50 I'd also recommend Fido's brushes. Outstanding value for money.

I've had an EJ silvertip - not very densely packed, soft and did a wonderful job with creams (after about 300 uses it started to shed quite rapidly and the the knot fell out).

Hi I went from the 404 to an EJ super, I also own the NF tubby 2. The super is marginally softer bristle wise and best with creams. NF tubby 2 is versatile with either form and a great brush too.

I started DE shaving to save money 10p per blade I thought bargain.... Here I am nearly half a year in looking to get another brush. I prefer using creams but want something with a bit of backbone as I have coarse hair. But the more I look the harder it gets ditched the idea of the EJ brush as I like anything in a sale :) but realised the smooth handle would not suit me.

Problem now is I DON'T need a new brush and think maybe I should wait until I NEED a new one, but suspect I am talking to the wrong crowd here concerning tempering my enthusiasm :)

So realistically is it worth going from a £10 mixed badger brush straight up to spending £50 I like the idea of the New Forest tubby 2 being handmade but still allot of money.... Oh decisions

Hi Andrew. Unless your Vulfix 404 is shedding a lot or you're somehow unhappy with its performance you don't NEED another brush. I've been using the 404 for every shave for about 3 years now. It's my only brush and will be replaced, probably with an Omega boar for around a tenner, when I feel the knot is passed it. I find it works very well across hard soaps, soft soaps and creams. It is possible to to shave very cheaply like this as long as you don't succumb to acquisition disorder! I know many would say where's the fun in that! To be fair brushes are the only thing I don't have several of.

shavecraft said:
Hi Andrew. Unless your Vulfix 404 is shedding a lot or you're somehow unhappy with its performance you don't NEED another brush. I've been using the 404 for every shave for about 3 years now. It's my only brush and will be replaced, probably with an Omega boar for around a tenner, when I feel the knot is passed it. I find it works very well across hard soaps, soft soaps and creams. It is possible to to shave very cheaply like this as long as you don't succumb to acquisition disorder! I know many would say where's the fun in that! To be fair brushes are the only thing I don't have several of.

I agree my 404 bodger became a different brush after I used it regularly for a month.

Re: RE: New brush help

shavecraft said:
I'm the same with all of this. Glad not everyone here is obsessed with brushes. Because obviously that would be weird, and blades and razors and soaps and creams perfectly normal!

NotTheStig said:
I'm the same with all of this. Glad not everyone here is obsessed with brushes. Because obviously that would be weird, and blades and razors and soaps and creams perfectly normal!

Haha, you're nothing if not good fun, Carl!

My recommendation would be a Simpsons Colonel X2L - great handle and lovely, dense, soft knot. Can be had for less than £50 delivered and should last almost forever if looked after. Otherwise, a New Forest would be the obvious choice. They are turned from a particularly attractive, marbled ivory resin and Peter is an absolute gent.

Back
Top Bottom